cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DR setup

MjG
Level 3

We have setup a DR site using Netbackup 7.1 and a Data Domain appliance.  The copies of the backups are working great and the catalog is being sent to a media server in the DR site.  I am missing something and I'm not sure what the best way of handling it is.

To test, I have shut down the master server at the production site.  When I do that, I am unable to recover using the media server at the DR site.  What is the best way to be able to recover if the master server is unavailable?  I've read on some forums that you need to try to recover the master at the DR site first and then restore the catalog.  Is there another way to do this that would allow the DR site to recover servers if the Master server was unavailable without relying on recovering the Master server first?  I've read about secondary Master servers, but that looks like it's not 100% supported.

2 REPLIES 2

PraveenCH
Level 4

Recovery of Master server is must to get the environment back.

I can suggest for a quickest way to do that.

Configure Catalog backups excluding images folder on to disk and replicate the data in the Catalog backup path and Netbackup images folder to same location in the DR server.

Now if you Shutdown you production master server, you have catalog and netbackup images on the DR server. Run a Catalog recovery which will complete is few minutes and your environment will be back.

--Praveen

MjG
Level 3

Thank you for the advice!