cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DR test at another site

MayurS
Level 6
Need suggestion Environment:NB 6.5 on Windows 2k8 & Datadomain I have two sites with their individual NB Master servers. Backup at site A datadomain is duplicated to site B data domain using SLP. Similarly Backup at site B datadomain is duplicated to site A datadomain. I need to perform a DR test for Site A and need to perform test Restore using site B netbackup and SLP duplicated data available at site B. I need to make sure that catalog available at site B is not affected. I have done this so far but reading some posts that say issues with running catsync command 1) add the duplicated datadomain to site b master. Configured storage server and diskpool. 2) I have the DR file from Site A. How to safely proceed? Kindly suggest.
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

You should upgrade your environment, 6.5 is not supported anymore. In NetBackup 7.6 you can use AIR (Automated Image Replication) along with your datadomain replication (assuming the correct plugin levels and hardware compatibility) to replicate and import all the backup images from site A to site B and vice versa.

The catalog information from each backup images is automatically imported into the NetBackup domain it is being sent to. You can then easily, and without performing a complicated process, restore site A clients at Site B, and vice versa.

View solution in original post

Marianne
Level 6

Yes... that workaround was fine back then... LOTS of manual steps and time consuming... 

Thank goodness that AIR is now supported by NBU and DD.....

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

INT_RND
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I would recommend making a test environment. The easiest way to do this is with virtual machines. You must isolate the DR test environment from your network. Deploy a test master server and perform the catalog recovery to prove that you can actually DR Netbackup. Once you have recovered Netbackup you can perform test restores to prove you can restore data. You will have to define your own test methedology. The scope will depend on many factors. You do need a static route from your DR Master domain to the media server that hosts the images needed for your testing. As long as you have an isolated subnet with it's own DNS resoultion that never resolves in to the main network you should be safe. DR planning can be a very large task. You should write it all out before you do anything.

RiaanBadenhorst

Hello,

You should upgrade your environment, 6.5 is not supported anymore. In NetBackup 7.6 you can use AIR (Automated Image Replication) along with your datadomain replication (assuming the correct plugin levels and hardware compatibility) to replicate and import all the backup images from site A to site B and vice versa.

The catalog information from each backup images is automatically imported into the NetBackup domain it is being sent to. You can then easily, and without performing a complicated process, restore site A clients at Site B, and vice versa.

Marianne
Level 6

I have two sites with their individual NB Master servers. Backup at site A datadomain is duplicated to site B data domain using SLP.

This is not possible with NBU 6.5.

Duplication/replication between master servers is only possible as from NBU 7.1 using AIR functionality as per Riaan's excellent post above.

NBU 7.6 supports AIR for Data Domain.

I agree with Riaan. You need to upgrade.
Latest software will give you latest functionality and features and also ensure support from Symantec.
NBU 6.5 ran out of support almost 2 years ago.
If you experience a real disaster at this point in time, you will have no support from Symantec... 

AIR FAQ: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH154323 

MayurS
Level 6

Thanks for the replies guys.

I have now upgrade to 7.5 but unfortunately the Datadomain OS that I have does not support AIR.

Implementing AIR would take sometime, so for my immediate requirement will these steps work for my test DR restore or will they make my duplicate copies unuseable at my Site A NBU master after my DR excercise is complete ?.

1) Configure the Duplicated DD to the Site B NBU Master (New NBU Master Server).

2) Configure the Disk Pool

3) On Site B new NBU master run nbcatsync -sync_dr_file

4) run bprecover  -wizard and restore images only

5) run cat_export -all -staging

6) run cat_import -all -replace_destination

7) run nbcatsync -backupid <catalog backup id determined from the DR file>

8) Attempt restoration thru GUI

Reference. Marianne's post: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/how-can-i-get-remote-nbu-env-ostdatadomain-see-duplicated-images-another-nbu-env 

Marianne
Level 6

Yes... that workaround was fine back then... LOTS of manual steps and time consuming... 

Thank goodness that AIR is now supported by NBU and DD.....

MayurS
Level 6

Thanks Marianne, Riaan