Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Daily Roles and Responsibility for a Netbackup Admin

Mr_Fox_Foot
Level 4

Hello All, 

Am new to Netbackup , Can some one help me to guide in below few topics, 

1. What are the Daily Roles and Responsibility for a Netbackup Admin  (For All Tech- Levels).

2. I would like to under stand the Netbackup Process flow and how netbackup works and how error logs are analysed.

3. Give me some Tips and Heads up, How to be a smart Netbackup Administrator . 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Here you are, everything you need to know to set up logs ...

(Big thanks to Marianne who very kindly x2 checked this for me and gave her seal of approval.  It's not quite finished as I want to add a few words about volmgr/debug logs ...)

Setting up logs in NetBackup

For a given issue, it may be necessary to gather multiple logs.  This MUST cover the time the issue happens.
If an aditional log is required, that has to be created, then ALL the logs must be supplied again.

There are two types of logs in NetBackup.  Legacy logs and VX logs.

1) Createing Legacy Logs
2) Setting Verbose Level for Legacy Logs
3) Collecting Legacy Logs
4) Createing VX Logs and setting the log level
5) Collecting VX logs

1) Createing Legacy Logs

These are created in either 

Unix
/usr/openv/netbackup/logs/
/usr/openv/volmgr/debug/

Windows
<install path>\veritas\netbackup\logs
<install path>\veritas\volmgr\debug

For example to create bptm log, simply create a directory called the <process> name.

mkdir /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bptm

A newly created log will not log anything /detect a change of verbose level until the process is restarted.  For logs such as bptm, this will be when the next backup runs.  Other logs such as bprm and bpdm may require a restart of the NBU services.  I say 'may', if the process starts a child process, then this would write to a newly created log or pick up a verbose level change.

There are two ways this can be done :

(Unix) 

To increase the verbose level of all logs (except vault)
Add the entry VERBOSE = <level> into /usr/openv/netbackup/bp.conf.  <level> is a value between 0 and 5, with 5 being the highest.

(Windows)

On the server you are gathering the logs from, run the BAR GUI
From the File menu, select Client Properties and in the pop-up window, goto the Troubleshooting tab.
Set General to 2 and Verbose to 5

The log file is simply found in the <process> name directory.  There is one log per day.

The name of the log file will be log.<date>

If you are sending multiple log files in, they will all have the same name.  Please therefore rename the log files to :

<process>.log.<date>

These are more complex, and have to be set with specific commands.  NOTE: Some of these logs, for example, 'mds' do NOT create a log file.  Instead the lines are entered in to other log files.  In the case of mds (143), it logs into EMM (111).

The vxlogs cover various processes, for example, nbemm, nbrb, nbjm, nbrb, mds

To set these up on either Unix or Windows, use this command :

vxlogcfg -a -p 51216 -o <oid> -s DebugLevel=<1-6> -s DiagnosticLevel=<1-6>

For example, to set the EMM and MDS logs to levels 6 and 6 use

vxlogcfg -a -p 51216 -o 111 -s DebugLevel=6 -s DiagnosticLevel=6
vxlogcfg -a -p 51216 -o 143 -s DebugLevel=6 -s DiagnosticLevel=6

To confirm the log level has been set, simply look in the nblog.conf file, which is located in the netbackup diorectory.
(NOTE: DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE MANUALLY)

5) Collecting VX Logs

To collect the vx logs, use the nbcplogs command.  This copies the raw logs, which is the preference of Technical Support.

NOTE:  The destination directory MUST be empty.

nbcplogs --no-nbsu -d 2hrs --logs nbemm,nbjm /tmp/logs   (Ex.  Coleect the past 2 hrs of logs, RELATIVE, to when the command is run )

nbcplogs --no-nbsu -s 07/11/2012-10:17:58 -e 07/11/2012-12:17:58 --logs nbjm,nbpem /tmp/logs (Collect the logs between two times -s <start> -e <end>  )

In these examples, the nbpem and nbjm logs would be copied to /tmp/logs

For details of using vxlogview please see TN:  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH75805

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Mr Fox Trot, that' too much to cover on a forum, you really need to go on training.

See the Symantec Training link on the top right of this page under Links.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Further to the outstanding answers ,,,

1. What are the Daily Roles and Responsibility for a Netbackup Admin  (For All Tech- Levels).

Impossible question - it depends on how well designed your backup system is.  For a good system, probably not much, for a bad system, probably a lot.

However, that answer is not particularly helpful.  As a minimum, you would check the Activity monitor for failed jobs, and, also the all log entries report.

2. I would like to under stand the Netbackup Process flow and how netbackup works and how error logs are analysed.

Sent by Nicolai

3. Give me some Tips and Heads up, How to be a smart Netbackup Administrator . 

Read this:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/netbackup-basics-and-how-make-your-life-easier

My three pet hates ...

1) Systems that do not have the NBU paths to the binaries entered in the OS PATH variable.  I see people spending more time type the 'long' path each time to run  a command than they do actually fixing the issue.

2) People not being able to set up logs.

If you are unfamiliar, fair enough - but there are plenty of TNs available explaing how to do it (they are linked in the article above).

All that should be required when logs are requested is the following.

Please provide

(media) bptm, bpbrm,  and (client) bpcd at verbose 5 (+ general 2 if win)

(master) bpdbm at ver 5, and 116, 117, 118 at 6 and 6.

That is it, there is sufficient info above to send in the logs requested ...  there should be no need for a 3 page essay on the subject, and then a demand for Webex.  I can count on one hand, the number of times in 5 years where the above is the only information I have had to give ...

Next issue, people send ( for example) the bptm log from tue and the bpbrm log from wed.

If the problem happened on tue, what good is the log from wed.

Logs must ALWAYS cover 1. the same time period and 2. the time period in which the issue happened.

For the vx logs, send them in raw format - 1. they are smaller, 2. If BL /Engineering get involved, they will want the raw format.

3) Know when NBU is not involved.

For many Network issues (certainly status 24) it is 99% certainly it is not NBU.  No matter how many times 'you' ask, the answer will be the same.

For many tape/ library issues, the issue will be outside NBU also.

Martin

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Here you are, everything you need to know to set up logs ...

(Big thanks to Marianne who very kindly x2 checked this for me and gave her seal of approval.  It's not quite finished as I want to add a few words about volmgr/debug logs ...)

Setting up logs in NetBackup

For a given issue, it may be necessary to gather multiple logs.  This MUST cover the time the issue happens.
If an aditional log is required, that has to be created, then ALL the logs must be supplied again.

There are two types of logs in NetBackup.  Legacy logs and VX logs.

1) Createing Legacy Logs
5) Collecting VX logs

1) Createing Legacy Logs

These are created in either 

Unix
/usr/openv/netbackup/logs/
/usr/openv/volmgr/debug/

Windows
<install path>\veritas\netbackup\logs
<install path>\veritas\volmgr\debug

For example to create bptm log, simply create a directory called the <process> name.

mkdir /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bptm

A newly created log will not log anything /detect a change of verbose level until the process is restarted.  For logs such as bptm, this will be when the next backup runs.  Other logs such as bprm and bpdm may require a restart of the NBU services.  I say 'may', if the process starts a child process, then this would write to a newly created log or pick up a verbose level change.

There are two ways this can be done :

(Unix) 

To increase the verbose level of all logs (except vault)
Add the entry VERBOSE = <level> into /usr/openv/netbackup/bp.conf.  <level> is a value between 0 and 5, with 5 being the highest.

(Windows)

On the server you are gathering the logs from, run the BAR GUI
From the File menu, select Client Properties and in the pop-up window, goto the Troubleshooting tab.
Set General to 2 and Verbose to 5

The log file is simply found in the <process> name directory.  There is one log per day.

The name of the log file will be log.<date>

If you are sending multiple log files in, they will all have the same name.  Please therefore rename the log files to :

<process>.log.<date>

These are more complex, and have to be set with specific commands.  NOTE: Some of these logs, for example, 'mds' do NOT create a log file.  Instead the lines are entered in to other log files.  In the case of mds (143), it logs into EMM (111).

The vxlogs cover various processes, for example, nbemm, nbrb, nbjm, nbrb, mds

To set these up on either Unix or Windows, use this command :

vxlogcfg -a -p 51216 -o <oid> -s DebugLevel=<1-6> -s DiagnosticLevel=<1-6>

For example, to set the EMM and MDS logs to levels 6 and 6 use

vxlogcfg -a -p 51216 -o 111 -s DebugLevel=6 -s DiagnosticLevel=6
vxlogcfg -a -p 51216 -o 143 -s DebugLevel=6 -s DiagnosticLevel=6

To confirm the log level has been set, simply look in the nblog.conf file, which is located in the netbackup diorectory.
(NOTE: DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE MANUALLY)

5) Collecting VX Logs

To collect the vx logs, use the nbcplogs command.  This copies the raw logs, which is the preference of Technical Support.

NOTE:  The destination directory MUST be empty.

nbcplogs --no-nbsu -d 2hrs --logs nbemm,nbjm /tmp/logs   (Ex.  Coleect the past 2 hrs of logs, RELATIVE, to when the command is run )

nbcplogs --no-nbsu -s 07/11/2012-10:17:58 -e 07/11/2012-12:17:58 --logs nbjm,nbpem /tmp/logs (Collect the logs between two times -s <start> -e <end>  )

In these examples, the nbpem and nbjm logs would be copied to /tmp/logs

For details of using vxlogview please see TN:  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH75805

neelyang
Level 3

Thanks a lot for info! I'm an understudy and thank you for this data! I'm additionally certain in an internet based  help with dissertation writing assistance is more straightforward and more viable all the time than composing papers yourself. I frequently go to them for help when there is a requirement for quality composed work in a brief time frame.