cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Domain Boost for RMAN and Tape out

LT2013
Level 4

Wondering if anyone has implemented DD Boost for RMAN, and doing some form of tape out in an NBU environment.

We currently backup Oracle DBs to an NFS mount thats on a Data Domain (and replicate to another DD). We have to create tape copies, so every month we have an NBU policy (7.5.0.6, running on Linux servers) that sweeps the NFS mount and backs it up to tape.

So we're test driving Boost for RMAN, to write directly to the DD (evidently the performance is supposed to be much better than NFS). But I'm wondering how am I going to get the monthlies to tape? I don't think NBU can "read" the backup sets on the DD storage unit we have setup for the RMAN backups. 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

You can simply configure the DD as an OST device in NetBackup, and make a storage unit. Load the boost plugin on the oracle box (it has to be a media server/enterprise client). Perform a oracle backup using the agent (rman script) to the DD storage unit.

Or am i missing something blatently obvious here?

Using RMAN to directly write to DD and using doing what I described above is the exact same data path using the exact same components. I just hope you're running TB licensing so you don't need to buy a license for the enterprise client.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

If your using Boost with RMAN you will not be able to duplicate that to tape via NetBackup. You would need to run another backup via NetBackup agent to go to tape, or copy the DD RMAN backup to disk and then back that up as a flat file.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Netbackup is completely unaware of RMAN backup direct to Data Domain. 

Maybe you should consult EMC to hear what best practices they recommend ?

LT2013
Level 4

Thanks for the replies.

That's pretty much what I figured, but thought I'd ask in case there was some way to incorporate the 2 methods before I put up a yellow flag on this solution.

Nicolai,

I just came from a brief stint at EMC and their recommendation would be "use Networker" :-).

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

You can simply configure the DD as an OST device in NetBackup, and make a storage unit. Load the boost plugin on the oracle box (it has to be a media server/enterprise client). Perform a oracle backup using the agent (rman script) to the DD storage unit.

Or am i missing something blatently obvious here?

Using RMAN to directly write to DD and using doing what I described above is the exact same data path using the exact same components. I just hope you're running TB licensing so you don't need to buy a license for the enterprise client.

LT2013
Level 4

Riaan,

We are using OST on our media servers. And I did think about that solution. However, that would entail making all my oracle servers NBU media servers (additional licensing) and having to purchase the NBU oracle agent (again, more licensing). Since we already have boost/OST licensed on the DD, we get the RMAN plugin and can backup directly to the DD, with no additional licensing.

RiaanBadenhorst

I understand. How big is the environment? TB licensing works out cheaper sometimes :)

Have you tested the speed via the media server as opposed to RMAN to NFS?

LT2013
Level 4

RMAN with Boost seems to be performing much better than NFS.

Spoke to some folks at EMC, and their suggestion, given our environment, was to NFS mount the storage unit mtree on a media server, and then have NB backup the files from there to tape.

jaketame
Level 3
Partner
I am currently in the planning stages of DDBoost for RMAN - ensure you have the correct amount of channels, and - delete obsolete rman backups from disk - don't forget to change the control file record keep time. - filesperset = 1 My thoughts are as follows Option 1 Oracle RMAN > DDBoost for RMAN Local Site Storage > DDBoost for RMAN Replication Off-Site Netbackup Media Server > NFS Mount > Tape Backup Management Side of things > Server/DB name in file set name and a CMDB of clients that have month ends through the single media server name Option 2 Oracle RMAN > DDBoost for RMAN Local Site Storage > DDBoost for RMAN Replication Off-Site Oracle RMAN > Netbackup API > Off-Site Tape I am proposing to test both options to find what works best and performance differences on the off-site tape copies via NFS mount or Netbackup API