Highlighted

Data Domain and A.I.R

Hello all,  I have a quick poll question to run past everyone.  Is anyone using A.I.R using Data Domain, if so, have you had any issues?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Accepted Solution!

Not yet supported

According to latest HCL, AIR feature is not supported with DataDomain. I doubt that EMC is not working for AIR support. http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76495

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Accepted Solution!

Not yet supported

According to latest HCL, AIR feature is not supported with DataDomain. I doubt that EMC is not working for AIR support. http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76495

View solution in original post

I've used DataDomains with

I've used DataDomains with optimised duplication to duplicate images between sites/DataDomains ... works a treat.

Highlighted

DD does not support AIR

Optimised duplication to duplicate images between sites works fine under the same master server.

DataDomain is not yet supporting AIR. We had a call logged at my previous company with EMC. Last feedback in Sept last year was:

DD does not support AIR. This functionality is planned for DDOS 5.3, 2H 2012. Supporting this needs a new DD NBU BOOST plugin.

Highlighted

AIR is not yet supported by

AIR is not yet supported by EMC/Data Domain. Latest version of DD OS 5.1.0.9 has few improvements like replicating MTREE (you don't need to create a folder under /backup to replicate) but still you also cannot replicate LSU via DD which is the alternate of AIR method.

Highlighted

Automated Import Replication

Automated Import Replication (AIR), introduced in NBU 7.1 over a year ago, cannot be compared to something like LSU replication via DD!

AIR provides true disaster recovery by optimzed duplication of a backup image that also has appended to it, the NBU catalog metadata and, is designed to replicate between different NBU domains.

In each NBU domain, there is a commonly named AIR SLP like AIR1. When domain A uses AIR to domain B, the SLP in domain B will automatically import the catalog metadata into domain B's catalog. Domain A can be hit with a disaster but can fall back to Domain B w/no data loss.

We saw this in Japan where over the weekend, the data in Japan was sent via AIR to a site in San Francisco. Just after AIR completed, the tsunami hit. No data loss.

AIR was introduced in NBU 7.1 on March 17th, 2011 - that means OST customers have been waiting over 370+ days for this functionality.

If an appliance form factor is your preference, why not look at the full line of NetBackup appliances that deliver better performance at a lower cost and........................ you won't get behind on the technical advances that reduce risk, lower operational costs and remove complexity from your backup infrastructure?