cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Domain and A.I.R

Michael_Blizzar
Level 3

Hello all,  I have a quick poll question to run past everyone.  Is anyone using A.I.R using Data Domain, if so, have you had any issues?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
According to latest HCL, AIR feature is not supported with DataDomain. I doubt that EMC is not working for AIR support. http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76495

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
According to latest HCL, AIR feature is not supported with DataDomain. I doubt that EMC is not working for AIR support. http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76495

Mick_Scott
Level 4

I've used DataDomains with optimised duplication to duplicate images between sites/DataDomains ... works a treat.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Optimised duplication to duplicate images between sites works fine under the same master server.

DataDomain is not yet supporting AIR. We had a call logged at my previous company with EMC. Last feedback in Sept last year was:

DD does not support AIR. This functionality is planned for DDOS 5.3, 2H 2012. Supporting this needs a new DD NBU BOOST plugin.

tarangdce
Level 4
Partner

AIR is not yet supported by EMC/Data Domain. Latest version of DD OS 5.1.0.9 has few improvements like replicating MTREE (you don't need to create a folder under /backup to replicate) but still you also cannot replicate LSU via DD which is the alternate of AIR method.

Obi_Wan
Level 3
Employee Accredited

Automated Import Replication (AIR), introduced in NBU 7.1 over a year ago, cannot be compared to something like LSU replication via DD!

AIR provides true disaster recovery by optimzed duplication of a backup image that also has appended to it, the NBU catalog metadata and, is designed to replicate between different NBU domains.

In each NBU domain, there is a commonly named AIR SLP like AIR1. When domain A uses AIR to domain B, the SLP in domain B will automatically import the catalog metadata into domain B's catalog. Domain A can be hit with a disaster but can fall back to Domain B w/no data loss.

We saw this in Japan where over the weekend, the data in Japan was sent via AIR to a site in San Francisco. Just after AIR completed, the tsunami hit. No data loss.

AIR was introduced in NBU 7.1 on March 17th, 2011 - that means OST customers have been waiting over 370+ days for this functionality.

If an appliance form factor is your preference, why not look at the full line of NetBackup appliances that deliver better performance at a lower cost and........................ you won't get behind on the technical advances that reduce risk, lower operational costs and remove complexity from your backup infrastructure?