cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Domain to Data Domain file transfers

Thomas_Anthony
Level 5

Hello, 

We have a NBU 7.6.0.3 Master/Media server running on Linux RedHat 2.6 writing to Data Domains using DDBoost

I need to quickly empty Data Domain 1 by transferring all existing NBU backup images to Data Domain 2.  The names and IPs are, and will remain different on both DD's.  

Can I use the Data Domain file transfer command "filesys fastcopy source /DD1 destination /DD2" and then run am import command ?

...or is there a better method that's keeps NBU aware of the image locations ?  

I tried using vault but the backup images on DD1 were not auto expired as expected, and it's time consuming to manually expire them.

As always, thanks for your help !

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hello

The only way I can think of is to use NBU catalog to duplicate backup images from one DD to the other... you can do it either from GUI or by leveraging bpduplicate command...

By doing so NBU will track the backups on the other DD2. Once everything will be duplicated you can expire backup IDs from the source DD1.

If these DDs are having fast network connectivity this should not take too long... and importing will be rather more time/resource consuming...

View solution in original post

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You don't want to run a import of the images, it is very (VERY) time consuming. I recommend to duplicate the images from DD1 to DD2. It will be a optimized replication.

Since Netbackup names every storage server with a unique id, you can't copy data behind the scenes of Netbackup. 

Some background info:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000012276

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hello

The only way I can think of is to use NBU catalog to duplicate backup images from one DD to the other... you can do it either from GUI or by leveraging bpduplicate command...

By doing so NBU will track the backups on the other DD2. Once everything will be duplicated you can expire backup IDs from the source DD1.

If these DDs are having fast network connectivity this should not take too long... and importing will be rather more time/resource consuming...

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You don't want to run a import of the images, it is very (VERY) time consuming. I recommend to duplicate the images from DD1 to DD2. It will be a optimized replication.

Since Netbackup names every storage server with a unique id, you can't copy data behind the scenes of Netbackup. 

Some background info:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000012276