cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data block curruption in DB backup

Anish
Level 4
Hi All,

I am having Netbackup 6.5 environment and daily we are taking file system level backup of Oracle 10g DB which is installed Solaris 10 OS environment.

My query is that if there is some data block corruption in DB (Database) , can Netbackup recognizes the block corruption while backing up the file system?
Is there any way if we wanted to enable such feature??
If its not available in Netbackup 6.5 any other way to achieve this??

Your inputs are highly appreciable!

Thanks for your kind support!

Warm Regards,

Anish
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Exactly !!!

I was saying the same thing... you can check / create the RMAN switches / options for checking block corruption.

When backing up file system level data NetBackup will never know whether data which is being backed up is oracle dump file or something else. That will be treated as normal file system object.

Hope this resolves your query... 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited
You are doing file level backup of ORACLE DB.

By this I am assuming that your are doing DB dump on disk (may be using RMAN) and then backing up that path using NetBackup using Standard file level backup policy.

If this the case NetBackup will do the honest file level backup and will fail if there is any problem in file reading.

I think this is what NetBackup can do for you. 

You can check one thing from ORACLE side, when you dump the ORACLE DB on disk, can you verify the backup??

Hope this helps...

Anish
Level 4
Hi Deepak,

Thanks for your reply.

But here i m purely doing file system level backup.

I will explain you how step by step

1. We have off-host backup solution where we are doing sync between primary and Secondary storage (i.e. BCP)
2. Once Sync is done we are doing Begin and End backup on DB side and split both the storages
3.Now Primary Storage used for Day to day activity and Secondary storage is mounted on Master backup server from where we are directly copying files on tape using Netbackup

Here in above case as i explained file systems are mounted in master server so there is not even oracle agent installed on this, we are using this as a host just to mount the file systems

So in this case is there any possibility to find block corruption.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Netbackup can't check for block corruption - if you wan't to check for block corruption is a job for RMAN.

It will may provide help about the issue: How to check for and repair block corruption with RMAN in Oracle 9i and Oracle 10g

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Exactly !!!

I was saying the same thing... you can check / create the RMAN switches / options for checking block corruption.

When backing up file system level data NetBackup will never know whether data which is being backed up is oracle dump file or something else. That will be treated as normal file system object.

Hope this resolves your query... 

Anish
Level 4
Hi All,

Thank you all for your replies.

Regards,
Anish