cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data centre migration - NetBackup BMR for Solaris clients

Itegral
Level 6

Need some advise on migration strategy to migrate Solaris based physical clients from one DC to another. The target DC is a different NetBackup domain.

• The client data is hosted on EMC and NetApp storage. 
  • There is no network connectivity between source and target data centres.
  • The cutover options are likely to be limited to the physical transfer and restore of data using tape media.
  • The target DC server hardware and firmware will be "near" identical to the source environment.

I am planning to use NetBackup BMR (currently NBU is being used in source DC for client backup with NO BMR). I understand that a BMR master server and Boot Server (seperate boot server) needs to be introduced. The SRT process

The target DC will have NBU Master/Media servers and a compatible storage library.

• Image import (2 phase import) from tape media will be required
  • I need to use network boot option as transfer of boot media (CD/DVD) will not be allowed
  • Can I transfer the network boot image on tape to the target DC and restore on target client?
  • Do I need BMR master and boot server in target DC?
  • What else do I need in the source and target DCs?
21 REPLIES 21

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

BMR recovery for host running Oracle RAC is not been officially qualified.

Generally to protect whole system running Oracle database, two policies are recommened. One is BMR to recover OS + APP installation back and other one it NB ORacle APP agent based backup to ensure database restored is consistent. App backup will be more frequent than BMR backup to make sure db point-in-time backup is wide.

So using this two backups, first recover system using BMR (even OS+other file systems as well). Then recover Oracle database from the other agent based backup. You will get the whole server as it is on target.

thanks.

mandar

Itegral
Level 6

Much obliged Mandar!!