cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data written to tape is more than tape can hold

Dermot_OF
Level 2

Hi All,

We have LTO5 tapes in our library but I am seeing that the used capacity is well over the 3TB compressed that LTO5 can hold (see attached screenshot). Getting the same info from NetBackup console and the OpsCenter.

My question is how is this possible? Is it just that we are getting excellent compression on the tapes? That's my suspicion but I would like to confirm.

Thank you!

Dermot

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

In the old days it might have been called magic, or witchcraft, now it's just called good compression. Remember the rating on the tape is just an indication. A 1.5/3.0 Tape could get full before or after those numbers. It just depends on the data. If you're getting more, don't stress its not bad.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

In the old days it might have been called magic, or witchcraft, now it's just called good compression. Remember the rating on the tape is just an indication. A 1.5/3.0 Tape could get full before or after those numbers. It just depends on the data. If you're getting more, don't stress its not bad.

Thanks Riaan!

I was thinking that but was slightly confused by the 6TB number so wanted a second opinion. I will just chalk this one up to excellent compression so!

Thanks,

Dermot