Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DataDomain change from VTL mode to OST

m_karampasis
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello,

We are thinking to change the VTL mode of our DataDomain (EMC DD869) to OST, for the moment we have an SSO enviroment and many media servers (multi OS's & netbackup versions) are able to access the DataDomain through FC, we would like to know if after changing the mode to OST our media servers will be able to access through FC the storage unit.  

Our version is NetBackup 7.6.0.1

Thank you in advance.

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I would ask EMC/DD that question.....

Genericus
   VIP   

Check with EMC, but BOOST over FC is NOT available for Solaris.

If you have a windows master, you may be able to use it for windows media servers.

AFAIK, it is available for windows, linux and HP - but not Solaris...

I am in the same boat, we bought BOOST with assurances that it would work over FC, but with my Solaris master, I am unable to use it at all...

Now they are promising 1Q next year. 

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

m_karampasis
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thank you both!

We have already contacted EMC, although our costumer needs also Veritas validation. 

Our environement is an AIX master server and Linux,AIX,Solaris media servers.

We are thinking to start with a mixed environement, VTL's for solaris and one DiskPool for the other OS's with diferent Storage units for every media server.

From your experience is this a valid configuration ?

Thank you in advance!

Varunthilak_B
Level 3
Certified

You may need to install OST plugin on media server where you are going to use DD - Confirm with EMC

You can configure DDBOOST and IFGROUP on DD.

Yes, You can configure mixed environment as mentioned above. if you have created more STU for each OS, I would recommend to use STUG to utilize all STU.