cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database Agent for Enterprise Vault?

TBS
Level 3
We recently upgraded to 6.5.4 and love the Granular Recovery for Active Directory . . .  this post however is related to the configuration of the 6.5.4 policy for the Enterprsie Vault Agent.

I have 6.5.4 client on my Enterprise Vault server, Master Server, Media Server, and the SQL server that hosts the EV databases.  Also I have completed the normal bpdown bpup, etc.  When I create a policy, I am to choose Enterprise-Vault as the policy type.  This does not exists and according to the instructions, this may be because the license key for the EV database agent does not exist (see instructions below)

I have attempted to get a quote for an Enterprise Vault database agent from our vender and have been told by them via our area Symantec SE that there is not specific database agent for Enterprise Vault but rather can use a regular database agent (not specific to EV).  Is this correct?? If so, any ideas on what I am missing related to why the Policy type for Enterprise-Vault does not exist in my dropdown list. 

Thank you.

Adding a new policy
This topic describes how to add a new Enterprise Vault backup policy.
Note the following before you add a new Enterprise Vault backup policy:
If you use the command-line interface (CLI) to create the new policy, the
identifying number for an Enterprise Vault agent policy type is 39.
Multistream backups and restores are not supported at this time.
To add a new policy
1 Log on to the master server as administrator (Windows) or root (UNIX) and
start the NetBackup Administration console.
2 If your site has more than one master server, select the one where you want
to add the policy.
3 In the left pane, right-click Policies. Select New Policy (Windows interface)
In the left pane, click Policies. In the All Policies pane, right-click the master
server and click New Policy (Java interface).
4 In the Add a New Policy dialog box, in the Policy name field, type a unique
name for the new policy.
5 Uncheck the Use Backup Policy Configuration Wizard check box.
By default, this option is checked. When this check box is checked, the Backup
Policy Configuration wizard appears and guides you through the backup
policy creation process. To manually create a new policy, uncheck this check
box.
6 Click OK.
7 On the Attribute tab of the Add a New Policy dialog box, select the
Enterprise-Vault policy type from the Policy type drop-down list.
The Enterprise Vault database agent policy type does not appear in the
drop-down list unless the master server has a license key for this database
agent.
8 Complete the entries on the Attributes tab.
9 Continue by adding additional policy information as follows:
Add schedules
Configuration
Adding a new policy
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Any feedback from Symantec yet?

Seems a new 6.5.4 database license key is required.  Our SE has sent me the latest Eval key. When I added it on the Master, the list of new features included Enterprise Vault agent. We are now waiting for feedback regarding new permanent key.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Marianne
It should be covered with the generic Database and Application Agent.
Also have a look at this White Paper:
ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Exchange_Mailbox_Archiving_Unit/330330.pdf

Mouse
Stupid question - have you upgraded NBU Admin Console as well?

TBS
Level 3
My apologies for the delay . . . yes I have upgraded the NBU Admin Console and the Master Server and the Agents to 6.5.4.  The one thing that I had not done was to upgrade the Enterprise Vault (thus the delay in my response) I was actually at 2007 (7.5) and now I have upgraded to 8.0 SP2.  The upgrade of Enterprise Vault went fine and I restarted all EV Services and also restarted the NetBackup Agent Services on the EV Server and the related SQL server and did the bpdown/bpup on the NetBackup Master Server.  I still am unable to see "Enterprise-Vault" as a policy type option . . . so it is still, unfortunately, a problem.

One thing possibly worth mentioning is an error I initially received after the upgrade of EV (no vault cache defined) - I think this is just because my vault is on another set of disks that did not attach immediately with the first restart follwing the upgrade.  I am able to restore/reclaim my vaulted data and emails fine so I do not think that this is a problem BUT if the NetBackup utilizes the vault cache, it may be.

I have support and can open a case but I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas for me to try first.

Marianne
There might be a new license key required for the EV database agent.
I have requested info from our pre-sales team as we need to implement this agent shortly.
The 'standard' database and application pack for Windows only enables the following agents/policy types on 6.5.4 master:
            PureDisk MS Exchange Agent
            PureDisk MS SQL Server Agent
            MS SharePoint Agent
            Sybase extension
            Oracle extension
            Lotus Notes extension
            DB2 extension
            MS SQL Server extension
            MS Exchange extension

TBS
Level 3
I have opened a case with Support as well . . . I agree Marianne that there seems to be a new license based on how the documentation is written, though our local Symantec SE said there is not.  When I get a definitive answer from Enterprise support I will post it back here.  Thank you.

Marianne
Any feedback from Symantec yet?

Seems a new 6.5.4 database license key is required.  Our SE has sent me the latest Eval key. When I added it on the Master, the list of new features included Enterprise Vault agent. We are now waiting for feedback regarding new permanent key.

TBS
Level 3
Sorry it has been so long for me to respond . . . it turns out that everyone I spoke to was correct.  There is an Enterprise Vault Agent with 6.5.4 but it was part of my "VRTS NETBACKUP CLIENT APPLICATION AND DATABASE PACK" - I was told it was not working because I did not have the Enterprise Vault Agent license - I was also told that I did not need to buy an Enterprise Vault Agent License Pack because I already owned the license as a part of my Application and Database Pack.  I phoned licensing at Symantec and they took my license key, decrypted it and said that I did not have the Ent Vault Agent . . . but here comes the good part . . . they said I should because my renewal is up to date.  They issued me a replacement license key.  I installed that key and completed a BPDown/BPUp and I was able to choose Enterprise-Vault from the Policy Type.

The bad news is it took a lot of my time as there seems to be some confusion on this one . . . depending on who you speak with . . . the good news is that it is sorted and it did not cost me a cent.  Thank you.

Reagan
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified
Since Enterprise Vault and NetBackup are both Symantec products, it is interesting that NetBackup requires a license to integrate with Enterprise Vault.

I'm thinking when NetBackup 7.0 comes out, the NetBackup 7.0 Application and DataBase pack license will include the Enterprise Vault option. 

NetBackup license keys are backward compatible, so a future solution might be just to upgrade the NetBackup 6.5 Application and Data Base pack license to 7.0.  

I applaud Symantec for not creating an additional license for Enterprise Vault.