cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database Backup Cancellation

H_Sharma
Level 6

Hello Experts,

Sometimes we have to cancel sql and oracle database but cancelling parent job does not kill all the jobs if dabase is big.

Pls let me know how to cancel database backups efficiently.

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
All child jobs are generated on the client. This means you will need to find the script / process that generates the backup requests and kill that.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Marianne
Level 6
All child jobs are generated on the client. This means you will need to find the script / process that generates the backup requests and kill that.

H_Sharma
Level 6
what script is on windows for sql and what is on linux for oracle???

Marianne
Level 6

I cannot tell you - this is your environment. Script names can usually be found in the policy.

Work with the relevant server owner to check Task Manager or process table.

nbutech
Level 6
Accredited Certified

For example for Oracle there is RMAN script running.. this you can check with oyur database administrator or in the policy .. 

Talk to your database adminsitrator whenever you cancelling backup jobs for those databases... 

H_Sharma
Level 6

Ok fine Sometimes we have some backup streams fail in Oracle Policy and other streams get sucessfull and we can not start the full backup again as its huge in sizee so what is the best approch to refire only the failed stream in Oracle policy?

I am not sure whether we can restore the database with some successufull and  some failed streams?

Marianne
Level 6

You cannot restart or resume a failed Oracle stream.
There is nothing in Oracle policy to specify or select individual streams.

The streams are generated by rman on the client, so only rman on the client can retry or restart the stream.

DBA's can investigate retry parameters in rman script.

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

probably the best way in Oracle is to use "NOT BACKED UP SINCE" phrase, for example:

BACKUP
  NOT BACKED UP SINCE TIME 'SYSDATE-7'
  DATABASE PLUS ARCHIVELOG;

then only datafiles not backed up within last 7 days are covered by backup job. (Adjust the time to your RPO requirements).

Your second question is rather for an Oracle forum. Basically, if you mean by "stream" a datafile or group of datafiles, then the answer is yes when you have at least one successfull "stream"/backup for every datafile and archivelog backups covering interval from this oldest backup up to now.

For example, when you have:

backup from 25-JAN for half of database

backup from 18-JAN for a second half of database

and archivelog backup including all archivelogs from 18-JAN to now,

you can restore the whole database up to now.

Michal

Marianne
Level 6

About SQL - I see that you received and answer over here: 

SQL Backup retries