cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database downtime to upgrade to NBU 7.0.1?

HankDorsett
Level 3
Can someone help me understand why I need to have a database outage in order to upgrade a client to 7.0.1 on DB servers? I don't recalling needed to to do this on any other upgrade before.

From upgrade notes:

If a database client is being used, such as Oracle, ensure that the
  database services are stopped. Database services can be stopped using the
  ControlPanel -> Services tool. Repeat this until all databases have been
  stopped. These services must be restarted once the patch is successfully
  installed.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

This requirement has been in the README's for as long as I've worked with NBU (close to 12 years...) The idea is that the plug-in will be reloaded with the database restart.

If previous upgrades / patch installs have been successful without database restart, the same should apply now. I cannot remember any installation where the agent stopped working because the database was not restarted.  I have noticed though the years that sometimes a patch update on Windows will ask for a reboot and sometimes not. We have always rebooted when it was required. Best to include reboot in change control - just in case...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

This requirement has been in the README's for as long as I've worked with NBU (close to 12 years...) The idea is that the plug-in will be reloaded with the database restart.

If previous upgrades / patch installs have been successful without database restart, the same should apply now. I cannot remember any installation where the agent stopped working because the database was not restarted.  I have noticed though the years that sometimes a patch update on Windows will ask for a reboot and sometimes not. We have always rebooted when it was required. Best to include reboot in change control - just in case...

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I BELIEVE we want to make sure that any linked libraries we may feel like replacing during the upgrade aren't in use or locked by your database app, because we might get an error and NOT replace them, and then you might not end up with the latest version of EVERYTHING from the release update otherwise, and we'd really like every component at the same rev.  Does that make sense?