cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decomissioning volume pools

perez_cmz
Level 6

I'm in the process of decomissiong some older volume pools, and need to move the tapes into other volume pools.

Am I missing something or is all I need to do is highlight the tapes in one of the older volume pools, right-click and "Change" the volume pool from there ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

No. The fact that there is unexpired data on the tape is what makes it 'assigned'.

If you are really adamant about getting rid of volume pools, duplicate assigned tapes in this pool to another pool.

After you have successfully duplicated the tapes, you can expire the source tapes.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

perez_cmz
Level 6

I'm assumeing there something else I need to do, as I got the following error when I tried to change the volume pool from the gui.

Change pool of 012345 failed (91)

Cannot change media pool of an assigned media

Can I unassign a tape with images that haven't expired yet ?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

No. The fact that there is unexpired data on the tape is what makes it 'assigned'.

If you are really adamant about getting rid of volume pools, duplicate assigned tapes in this pool to another pool.

After you have successfully duplicated the tapes, you can expire the source tapes.

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello,

In short you can't

The reason, as per TECH20603, is once a media in a specific volume pool has been used for backups (i.e. it contains valid images), it is committed to be in that volume pool. Should there be a reason as to why the volume pool of a media needs to be changed while it contains valid images, then the consequences must be understood as this may cause database inconsistency .