Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decommission Datadomain Media Server

h-mazeh
Level 3
Partner Certified

Hello All,

I wish to decomission a media server which writes into DD4500, In same time I want its iages to stay there.

I alreayd marked the images as infitiy expiring images.

Will nbdecommission clear the images?

Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Ok so you can run nbdecommision - I think - all backup images written by this media server (to that storage server) will be logically assigned to the other new_media server... I was thinking you have 1:1 ratio media -> storage server, but this is not the case...

nbdecommission -oldserver hostname [-list_ref | -newserver hostname [-bulk_media_move] [-file op_dump_file]]

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hello

Most likely nbdecommission will expire all images on this media server.... If you want to preserve these backup why you are willing to decom that box? Why don't you deactivate this media?

If you want to get rid of this box I would disconnect it from network, run nbdecommission - so all backup images from catalog will be gone, but these will be still physically available on this box - as NBU will not be able to delete it from device - not on network any longer.... Later on you can import these back - I think.... long running process

or you can try the bpexpdate -nodelete - command:
"Deletes the backup from the image catalog but does not delete it from the disk storage. Use this option when you unimport a disk group from one master server and import the disk group to a different master server."

Can you share why you need to decom it?

h-mazeh
Level 3
Partner Certified

Thanks Quebek,

The sotrage server is used for multiple media servers for management purpose.

Once i decomission a media server without using nbdecommission command, the storage server will go down in next backup on any other media server.

I run bpexpdate, is there an advice to keep the images showing in catalog? can I move their ownerhsip to another server?

Regards,

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Ok so you can run nbdecommision - I think - all backup images written by this media server (to that storage server) will be logically assigned to the other new_media server... I was thinking you have 1:1 ratio media -> storage server, but this is not the case...

nbdecommission -oldserver hostname [-list_ref | -newserver hostname [-bulk_media_move] [-file op_dump_file]]

h-mazeh
Level 3
Partner Certified

Thanks,

Do you have an example for that?

quebek
   VIP    Certified

I would have tried with

nbdecommission -oldserver your_media_server_to_decomm -list_ref 

to check what backup images are assigned to it... 

than 

nbdecommission -oldserver hostname -newserver new-media-server_using-the-same-storage-server

but please take catalog backups etc... just in case ....

h-mazeh
Level 3
Partner Certified

Thank you,

Can I move the ownership of images before starting nbdecommission command?

Regards,

h-mazeh
Level 3
Partner Certified

Just to assure before starting. 

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Yes you can... I think this can be achieved with this command

bpimage: -newserver <name> -oldserver <name> [-id <id>] [-M master_server,...]

so you need to generate list of images owned by the media which is decomm - and run against all of them

I would do one... tried restore to see if new media took over - was used in restore - some tiny file, redirected restore...