cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decommission media server

jrglenni
Level 3
*** moved to new post from
https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/image-cleanup-partially-succussful-due-to-old-clients-removed/t...

I have the same problem as the OP.
When I try to run the bpimage -newserver newservername -oldserver oldservername I get "no entity was found".
nbemmcmd -listshost shows the old server and lists it as foreign_media.  If I try running nbdecomission, I get "invalid NetBackup version 0.0.0.0 found on old server".  Are there any steps I can take to get the old server removed?
12 REPLIES 12

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Your situation sounds a bit messed up. Rather open a support case to get it resolved.

Marianne
Level 6

Please tell us about your environment.
You NBU version, the decommissioned media server, what kind of media server it was (tape, disk, MSDP, etc... ), if there are still devices and images associated with the media server, etc.

Show us output of 'nbemmcmd -listhosts -verbose' and extract/highlight the removed media server. 

Show us output of 'nbdecommission -list_ref -oldserver <server-name>'.

Genericus
   VIP   

Change media using bpmedia -movedb instead of bpimage, and use -allvolumes option.

It has saved my bacon a few times.

Instead of "bpimage -newserver newservername -oldserver oldservername" use " bpmedia -movedb -allvolumes -newserver newservername -oldserver oldservername"

This will clear ALL media from the old media server to the new one.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

Marianne
Level 6
Looks like this is not too much of an issue?
@jrglenni has not been back since last Wednesday to look for answers....

Sorry, thought I would get email notifications for new responses but probably not since I didn't start the thread. I will check out the recommendations from Genericus and report back. Thanks!

Genericus
   VIP   

With the new message board, you should go to your profile and select the option to "follow" threads you update, then it will email you as people post to them.

Settings

Subscriptions and Notifications

Automatically subscribe me to all topics or reviews I participate in

Then verify the notifications below - whether you want immediate or summary notifications.

No joy with the bpmedia -movedb command, I still get "server name not found in NetBackup configuration".

Current NBU is 7.7.3.  The old server was a d2d target, not sure what version it was running when it failed as it was a while ago.  All of the images it is trying to clean up have long since been expired, I would just like to get the warning message eliminated so that we no longer see partially successful clean up jobs. 

Nbemmcmd output:

oldbackup
        MachineName = "oldbackup"
        FQName = "oldbackup.blah.com"
        MachineDescription = ""
        MachineNbuType = foreign_media (13)

nbdecommission output:

List references for oldbackup as a foreign media server.

Server oldbackupis a foreign media server

invalid NetBackup version 0.0.0.0 found on old server oldbackup

Thanks, I went ahead and did that so I will get instant notifications now. 

Genericus
   VIP   

You may be able to "fake out" netbackup by building a fake media server or an alias using that old name, then running the command, then removing it.

This exposes one of the potential issues with NetBackup - the dependancies items have on each other, so changing/removing tape drives, storage units, storage unit groups and SLP and policies can become an exersize in determining what comes first.

You have to remove from policies, remove from SLP, remove from groups, remove storage units, remove drives, then remove actual drives. lol

nbdecommision -oldserver hostname -list_ref -v should display all changes you need to make in your case

Ok thanks.  I'll spin up a VM and give that a try. 

Marianne
Level 6

You still have not showed us output of 
nbdecommision -oldserver hostname -list_ref 
or
nbdecommision -oldserver hostname -list_ref -v

The output will help to determine what exactly is still in EMM db for this media server.

Have you tried to remove orphaned image references with
nbdelete -allvolumes -force  ?

If this fails to cleanup references, you need to log a Support call with Veritas. 
They will require nbdb_unload output and then provide sql scripts to cleanup orphaned db entries.

I did in my 2nd response to your earlier suggestions...

Nbdecommission -oldserver oldhost -list_ref -v

List references for oldhost as a foreign media server.

Server olshost is a foreign media server

invalid NetBackup version 0.0.0.0 found on old server oldhost

What does nbdelete -allvolumes -force do?  Will it just delete expired images?  Sounds kind of scary, want to make sure before I run it... I've learned my lesson after running rm -rf * in the wrong directory  along time ago :)