Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decommissioning a media server

rVikas
Level 5
Partner

Hello Everyone,

I  would like to know regrading netbackup media server.

Let me explain you about enviornment

1 - Master server - Solaris - version 7.6.0.1

4- Media server - RHEL 5.5 - 7.6.0.1

Storage unit is DataDomain, we have 4 dataDomains

Jobs are configured with multistreaming

Now i want to install RHEL 6.x on my one of the media server, seems i can't upgrade directly from 5.5 to 6.x, it should be fresh installation. I want to add that media server back in the enviornment after installing RHEL 6.xwith keeping everything same.

For doing this, do i need to follow nbdecommission procedure.

I could see in one of the post,

" OST Storage Unit where you have multiple media server connected to same OST disk pool,

nbdecommission -oldserver mediaserverX  -newserver mediaserverY

will move all image ownership to mediaserverY and completely remove mediaserverX from NBU config"

Do i also need to follow same procedure?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

are you going to use the same host name or Different host name with fresh installation?

if you are going to use the same host name, you probably need not to do the media server decomm process

because all the configurations are saved in master server.

so do the folllowing

1) deactivate the media server in Netbackup master ( from GUI--> Devices -> Media servers)

2) upgrade the media server OS  (use same hostname) and install the Netbackup 7.6.0.1

3)add the master and EMM server entires in media server 

4) Install OST plug in in media server

5)activate the Media server In netbackup master 

6) recycle the netbackup once

you are done.. test the connectivity and backups.. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

RamNagalla

are you going to use the same host name or Different host name with fresh installation?

if you are going to use the same host name, you probably need not to do the media server decomm process

because all the configurations are saved in master server.

so do the folllowing

1) deactivate the media server in Netbackup master ( from GUI--> Devices -> Media servers)

2) upgrade the media server OS  (use same hostname) and install the Netbackup 7.6.0.1

3)add the master and EMM server entires in media server 

4) Install OST plug in in media server

5)activate the Media server In netbackup master 

6) recycle the netbackup once

you are done.. test the connectivity and backups.. 

Born2rise
Level 4

If you are going to use the same name then follow the steps provided by RamNagalla.

I just wanna to suggest you to keep the netstat -nr output for future to add route after rebuilding the server. We face some issue in past as we lost route.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

If the media server does't have ant local storage unit like MSDP you could  copy off /usr/openv before the upgrade and copy it back after RH6 installation.

You need manual to configure startup/shutdown scripts, /etc/services and possible Xinetd.

To use this approach you need good UNIX skills and knowledgeable about Netbackup.

rVikas
Level 5
Partner

Hi Ram,

I am going to keep the same host name, its just installation of RHEL 6.x

As per your recommendations,

i will just de-activate media server in netbackup

Install RHEL 6.x, netbackup media server software, ost plug-in and activate media server.

Is there any other steps that i need to perform apart from those?

@Nicolai,

Is it required to copy /usr/openv and restore it backup after installation.

RamNagalla

you are good to proceed with the steps that i have provided..

another poin, if the media server has tape Drives configured you need to make sure they are detected in OS level after new OS installation and before you install the Netbackup.

Nicolai suggestion is the another method of doing it where you can avoide the reinstalltion of the Netbackup software however you need to configure it in start of scripts.

rVikas
Level 5
Partner

Thank you Ram,

I will proceed with the same steps provided by you.

one more query,

Is it necessary to restart netbackup service on master server after activating media server again ?

I am not much aware about scripting so not sure how to work on Nicolai solution.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

No need to restart NBU on master after deactivating or activating a media server.

Recent post with similar query:

Media Server Hardware refresh 

rVikas
Level 5
Partner

Hey Ram,

As per above steps, i will reinstall OS (RHEL 6.1) on server

Will install media server software.

Before we were using OST plug in 2.4, now to use Accelerator feature i need to upgrade OST plugin to 2.6x or 3.0.

After installing new OST plug in, do i need to again

create storage server or just need to activate media server as you mentioned before..