cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decommissioning media server and tape library

smwoodcrafts
Level 6

I've read the articles and am just a bit confused about the order of the steps for this. I have an old media server that's still on 7.5 with a tape library attached. These need to be decommissioned. I have already set up a new tape library on another media server that is running 8.0. I need to move all the tapes from the old TLD and Media Server to the new TLD and Media Server and decommission both the old TLD and old media server. I don't want to start the process without understanding the steps I need to take. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

nbdecommission is honestly all that you need.

nbdecommission will transfer all media and image ownership to the 'newserver', remove all devices associated with this media server plus remove all references to this media server. 

To understand what the tool is actually doing, please read through this documentation in NBU Admin Guide I: 

About decommissioning a media server

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/18716246-126559472-0/v95673631-126559472

Be sure to read through all of these sections as well: 

About decommissioning limitations

Before you decommission a media server

Decommission actions

Post decommission recommendations

Previewing references to a media server

Decommissioning a media server

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Marianne

nbdecommission is honestly all that you need.

nbdecommission will transfer all media and image ownership to the 'newserver', remove all devices associated with this media server plus remove all references to this media server. 

To understand what the tool is actually doing, please read through this documentation in NBU Admin Guide I: 

About decommissioning a media server

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/18716246-126559472-0/v95673631-126559472

Be sure to read through all of these sections as well: 

About decommissioning limitations

Before you decommission a media server

Decommission actions

Post decommission recommendations

Previewing references to a media server

Decommissioning a media server

Thank you so much Marianne. This clears up a lot.

I have a quick question that I don't see addressed and I'm still a little confused about. Nbdecommission changes ownership of media and images to the media server I name as the 'newserver.' I can wrap my head around that. Nothing is really mentioned about the new TLD. After the decommission can I just put the tapes in and do the inventory and it will see them as the original media. Sorry the the thickness on my part, but I need to make sure I don't lose the backups for the last 10 years.

Marianne

@smwoodcrafts 

Media ID's in NBU are unique and will stay the same, regardless of whether it is in TLD(0), TLD(1) or NONE (non-robotic location).

When the media ownership is changed to a new media server, the only requirement is for the media to be in robot where the new media server has access to the media and a tape drive with the correct density that matches the density of existing Media ID's. 

Before you put the media in the new robot, just double-check Media Id Generation rules - they need to be the same for the new robot as it was on the old robot. 

So, look at the media id's that were used on the old robot - were the last 6 characters used, or 1st 6?
e.g, for a barcode of A00001L6, what does the Media ID in NBU look like? 
A00001
or 
0001L6 ? 

Marianne,

Thanks so much for your help. I have one question though before I'm finally allowed to do this. When you just type nbdecommission it comes up with thte tags you can use one is -bulk_media_move. Is this something I need to use? I can't find an expaination about this tag anywhere.

Marianne
I have never used bulk_media_move option. Only -oldserver and -newserver options.
Have you tried the Command Ref Guide for an explanation?

Thank youWhen I saw you didn't use it I went ahead and performed the decommission. Everything went fine.