cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decompressing catalog images while migrating and merging catalogs.

Alex_R1
Level 2

Hello,

We are trying to migrate from a single Solars master running 7.1 to a brand new two-node VCS clusterd Linux master running NBU 7.5. Which involves
merging catalog from 7.1 with empty catalog on Linux 7.5 master.

Here is the question: do we need to uncompress all catalog images with "bpimage -decompress -allclients" on the source system?

Or can we migrate catalog from Solaris to Linux with compressed catalog images?

My understanding is that compressed .f.Z files have no information related to master server names or anyhting like that in them (just path names from backup) and can be left as-is.

Please advise.

Thank you!

9 REPLIES 9

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Firstly - 7.1 catalogs cannot be merged/migrated or restored/recovered to 7.5. 

You need to migrate to exact same NBU version, then upgrade.
Else upgrade, then migrate.

Solaris master can be migrated using catalog backup and restore as per this TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77448

No need to uncompress before migration, just ensure that all necessary OS packages is installed on new Linux master. 
See http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH153677 
Verify that the compress and uncompress binaries are installed or check that the ncompress RPM package is installed.

Have a look at this discussion: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/migrating-nbu-7104-solaris-rhel-57 

Ankit_Maheshwar
Level 5

Alex..

Migration always need a backup so do full catalog backup.. you can use NBCC utility to ensure catalog recovery..

Both old and New host should be on same NB version.. Hardware does't matter but patch level specially compress package be on higher version...

I see few issue after migration like restore is not showing all backed up images..., connectivity issue, Device issue if Master and Media is same...

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hang on a tic ...

" migrate from a single Solars master running 7.1 to a brand new two-node VCS clusterd Linux master running NBU 7.5."

You cannot restore a non-clustered catalog to a master server in a cluster.

As per TN:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH31385

"Clustering of a non-clustered master server" can only be done via consulting services (that is, a Symantec partner who offers the service).

There is no way around this unfortunately, any steps other than via a Partner will leave you wil an unsupported, and probably a very broken system).

Martin

StefanosM
Level 6

All the above are correct.

Just to add that you can not move a non clustered catalog to a clustered master server and vice versa.

There is a procedure to move backup images (easies to do it from 7.1 to 7.1 master), but this will lead to catalog inconsistencies.

If you want to do it the right way you need help from symantec professional services (master partners)

Marianne
Level 6

I missed the VCS cluster part! 

Martin is 100% right - special catalog manipulation is needed to migrate non-clustered catalog to clustered.

NOT a DIY job....

Alex_R1
Level 2

Just want to add that we are working with the Partner on the migration process, it's not a DIY job :)

However, I wanted to hear your opinion on the need of decompressing catalog images.

Alex_R1
Level 2

But what I'm getting here, if let's say we are doing simple migration from Solars 7.1 to Linux 7.1 or from Solaris 7.5 to Linux 7.5 (no VCS clustering involved) - there is no need to decompress catalog images - correct?

StefanosM
Level 6

yes, a simple catalog backup and restore will do the job.

Or, if you (or the partner) know what to copy, a simple ftp will do the job.

be sour that the netbackup version and the name of the master server are the same for both systems.

Marianne
Level 6

If your Partner is a Consulting Partner, they will know exactly what to do and you don't need to be concerned about a single thing.
Consulting Partners have step-by-step documentation as well as special migration tool that will dump EMM data from source master and import into destination master.

There is no need to uncompress catalogs.
As per my first post, just check that the ncompress RPM package is installed.