cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dedup question

Claudio_Veronez
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi there, I'm trying the NB 7.5 environment, I was told about the "Client side Dedup", so, I'll heve to use B2D instead of tape? Can I dedup at the client using tape?

Thanks a Lot.

Best regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
12 REPLIES 12

Marianne

Tape cannot dedupe. (This is the case for all backup software.)

Only NBU dedupe disk can perform Client side dedupe (Media Server Dedupe or PureDisk Dedupe Option).

You may want to check the NBU product page for datasheets, white papers, etc.

http://www.symantec.com/netbackup

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

No, i am afraid not

The client side de-dupe depends on talking to the deduplication storage / database etc

Any form of de-dupe replies on disk, whether it be inbuilt NetBackup de-dupe, puredisk or an OST attached device

So disk only for de-dupe and you must have dedupe to use client side

Hope this helps

Claudio_Veronez
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks a Lot.

I was trying to use client side dedup to safe bandwidht,

ex: local disk as dedup destination and right after sent it to tape, like a destage.

So I'll need a DataDomain (example) + Netbackup Lics for dedup

let me expose my test.

I want to backup a lot of small clients/servers geographically distribuited, I'll have to use VPN access, I was trying to send a Media Server to the first backup and bring it back to the DC for the next.

Maybe the best option should be the EMC Avamar?

Thaks again.

Marianne always Rocks :)

Mouse

Data Domain will not work with NBU built-in client dedupe (you need MSDP pool or NBU Appliance for this)

If you plan to use DD BOOST over the WAN it is not supported, so Data Domain won't help here

Avamar will do but it is bloody expensive and completely separate backup solution not integrated with NBU.

The best option to my opinion is to use WAN Resiliency (NBU 7.5 and above)  for remote clients, small appliances/MSDPs in remote hubs (if any) and optimized duplication to central site using SLP controlled from NBU. 

Claudio_Veronez
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks Mouse,

I think that I can use DD as enterprise Disk for deduplication and OST to create the disk pool, soo I would be able of backing up w/ dedup at the client. am I right?

Mouse

No, Data Domain will not work with client dedupe whatsoever. It is a target dedupe box

So far the only supported storages for NBU Client Dedupe are Appliances and MSDP pools.

Marianne

Claudio_Veronez
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hummm, I know that DD can't do client side dedup, but I can only dedup a client side if I have a Disk Pool registered at the master server right? so I do not want to put a Storage w/out dedup to do that. thats why I was thinking about the DD.

NB 7.5 + DD(OST and VTL) at the DataCenter.

I'll will mount the DD(OST) as a DiskPool so I'll be able of dedup at client side (NB will do that) and than I'll export to tape.

I'll have to licence the Enterprise Disk, Dedup, Master Media, OST and the application agents.

that is right?

Hard to explain, I was using NB 6.5 and there wasn't Dedup options. I'm newbier than ever

Mouse

You can't do NetBackup Dedupe that is Client Dedupe on DiskPool of type Data Domain.

To be able to do client dedupe you need Disk Pool of type PureDisk (available via MSDP, PureDisk or NBU appliances)

Data Domain and Client Dedupe is not possible in any combination.

For client dedupe you need the Data Protection Optimization Option, Enterprise Disk is not enough for this.

One more point, you can't export dedupe data to tape. During tape export all data will be inflated again to original size

Mouse

Official technotes: As you see http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO70484 two types of pools are supported for client dedupe, MSDP and Pure Disk. DD is neither of those supported. And it can't be a storage for MSDP as explained here: http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO43566

Claudio_Veronez
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks Mouse,

even if I export to tape, I'll do that over FC inside the DC, my pain here is the bandwidth between the client and the master/media server.

Soo if I have these licences I'll be able of doing the client side dedup? (damn I'll have to buy a storage just to create the disk pool)

Mouse
Yes you'd need the Data Protection Optimization Option on top of everything else From another side, cost of a TB on a disk storage is way less than a TB on DataDomain