cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dedupe ratio for High-resolution images

Mux
Level 4

Hi guys,

I have requirement where i have to backup around 20 TB of high resolution images (i expect to be around 25 MB per image). This is expected to grow to 35-40 TB in the next one year.

At present, we have a single Netbackup Appliance acting as a media server and the dedupe pool is around 75% utilized.

My question is what is the normal dedupe ratio for images? Will it be required to go for additional storage/media server before onboarding this server?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You would get very poor compression/dedupe for the images. We had simillar situation with one of my client who are into satellite imaging and Netbackup appliance did not suit the requirement.

Though you can do a POC and see how much dedupe you are getting.

WVT
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified
These would be a perfect candidate for sending directly to tape.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Appliance + tape could suit the job very nicely.

Make some (or most or all - depends how much else there is) of the appliance disk space Advanced Disk pool  (instead of MSDP pool) - and assuming you have the complete product front-end capacity license and a FC HBA in your appliance - then go buy a cheap tape library - like an HP MSL2024 with one or two tape drives.   And take your backups of the high res images via a D2D2T model in SLP with an expire disk copy as soon as tape copy is complete.  Much much faster then backing up to de-dupe pool - and you avoid the delay of waiting a day or two for the de-dupe pool to work out that tens of TB of backup data is no longer referenced.

If the high res images are critical to the business, then use the SLP to make two copies to tape.  And remember that you will also not achieve any compression to tape.

Mux
Level 4

Thanks SymGuy-IT, WVT and sdo.

I think i should do a POC with couple of TBs and see how it goes.

As sdo mentioned, using D2T/D2D2T is possible. We already has a small NAS and a MSL4048 that can be used. But in this case, my concern is the backup speed (no accelerator) and other backup related performance.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Sometimes it can appear tricky to decide which features to balance trade/off... but if you have a clear RPO/RTO requirement from the business, then let this be your steering light.