Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deduplication disk sizes

StefanosM
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello.

I'm about to configure an BYO MSDP storage server with 120 TB disk space. It is the first time for me to config a disk that size and I'm confused.

I'm reading the manuals and every version have different top size witch is understandable. But all of  them restrict the size up to 64 TB. And then just jump to the max size of the version.
So the size for 9.1 is up to 64 TB or 250 TB and for 10.1 up to 64 TB and 400 TB
At a later chapter, storage requirements , there is an entry for 96 TB

Do I understand it correct or I'm missing something?
you are not allowed to config MSDP with storage size between 65 TB and to the version limit?

And finally what is the best practice for configuring the 120 TB ? 
To configure as a one volume?
Two volumes of 60 TB each?
Or 3 volumes of 40 TB each?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hello

Well these admin guides are not really clear. My understanding is that you can have up to 64TB on any OS. For 250 or 400TB you need dedicated OS or NBU appliance and Recommended operating systems are:
■ Red Hat Linux 7.5
■ Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter

Than you should split this 120TB into some chunks, ie 3x32 + 1x4TB TB take a look How to configure a 250TB Media Server Deduplication Pool (MSDP) on Linux and Windows (veritas.com)

I am not sure why this can't be in only one partition....

View solution in original post

Hi @StefanosM 

I agree the documentation is not entirely clear. For the OS I would stick to RHEL for preference or Windows (if you must - I would suggest that 2012 R2 is a bad idea as nearing end of life and something current such as 2019 is fine). 

Split the data volumes into equal size LUNs (32 TB is fine, but doesn't need to be that large) and create an additional small LUN (1-2 TB should be fine) for the MSDP catalog. Then follow the instructions as for 250 TB MSDP. 

I understand the multiple partitions is to reduce the total number of files in the one file system to make everything more manageable (but this is my opinion and could be wrong). Don't forget to create the touch file /etc/nbapp-release (or Windows equivalent).

Cheers
David

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hello

Well these admin guides are not really clear. My understanding is that you can have up to 64TB on any OS. For 250 or 400TB you need dedicated OS or NBU appliance and Recommended operating systems are:
■ Red Hat Linux 7.5
■ Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter

Than you should split this 120TB into some chunks, ie 3x32 + 1x4TB TB take a look How to configure a 250TB Media Server Deduplication Pool (MSDP) on Linux and Windows (veritas.com)

I am not sure why this can't be in only one partition....

StefanosM
Level 6

Thanks.
I will split it to 32 TB disks.  This is what I understand as well.
My confusion is if a BYO 120 TB MSDP is a supported configuration or not.

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hi

IMHO it is - but only on RH or suse or that windows datacenter...

Hi @StefanosM 

I agree the documentation is not entirely clear. For the OS I would stick to RHEL for preference or Windows (if you must - I would suggest that 2012 R2 is a bad idea as nearing end of life and something current such as 2019 is fine). 

Split the data volumes into equal size LUNs (32 TB is fine, but doesn't need to be that large) and create an additional small LUN (1-2 TB should be fine) for the MSDP catalog. Then follow the instructions as for 250 TB MSDP. 

I understand the multiple partitions is to reduce the total number of files in the one file system to make everything more manageable (but this is my opinion and could be wrong). Don't forget to create the touch file /etc/nbapp-release (or Windows equivalent).

Cheers
David

StefanosM
Level 6

Thank you both.

@StefanosM actually my environment is RHEL 8.5 with 7 LUN's 16TB, totally 112TB, but support doesn't recommended because my Luns are small, best practices are 32TB, but after one year I don't have problem about performance, the only thing is about memory because before do update for 112TB I have 128GB RAM and updated for 192GB RAM, and again support told me please don't grow up your disk more because is so bad NBU manager all this "smalls luns", but in my opinion if you want 120TB best pratice is 4 LUNs 32TB for example.