Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deduplication for Remote backups

Nicenavin
Level 4
Certified

Hi All,

I need good solution on the following;

There are 40 servers (Full backup data size is 4.2 TB) netbackup 7.1 clients in remote location (A). There I have 4.9 TB of space provided to accommodate the backup with 2months retention period.

Also, I have 5 TB space available in another location (B).

When I transferred the data from location A to B , per day (24hrs) 40 GB of data only able to transfer to location B.

If I enable client side deduplication, how it will work, I will get any good throughput over the WAN.

Anyone have good advice to move the backups?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Navin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Client side de-dupe and accelerator work well for remote offices but if your storage is local to the remote site then MSDP on both sites is the way to go and just use a SLP to control the data flow - so backup is MSDP storage on remote site and Duplication to MSDP at local site

Should work OK - just makes me wonder what else you do at the local site?

If you have 4.5 TB at Site A and 5 TB at Site B i get the feeling that you probably do backups at site B too - so do make sure you actually have enough free space at Site B to duplicate the backups from Site A to it without filling it up - also set your retention periods carefully when doing this

Generally if you do backups at both sites and want to duplicate one site to the other you would want a much larger MSDP pool at site B

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

muhanad_daher
Level 6

Hello,

you can use Accelerator feature beside client side ded on pure disk storage, upgrade the Netbackup to 7.5.0.x and then open ports between client and you storage host (10082, 10101, 10102, 10085).

bp_kill_all
Level 3
Partner Accredited

From what I understand you want to run local backups to site A, where you have 4.9TB disk for this purpose (this seems like it's possibly tight depending on your change rate).

What you want is a media server with MSDP in location A and then optimized duplications using SLP's to site B where another MSDP pool should sit.

Beware that the initial duplication will not gain much optimization from dedup as the receiving end will not have a dedup baseline.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Client side de-dupe and accelerator work well for remote offices but if your storage is local to the remote site then MSDP on both sites is the way to go and just use a SLP to control the data flow - so backup is MSDP storage on remote site and Duplication to MSDP at local site

Should work OK - just makes me wonder what else you do at the local site?

If you have 4.5 TB at Site A and 5 TB at Site B i get the feeling that you probably do backups at site B too - so do make sure you actually have enough free space at Site B to duplicate the backups from Site A to it without filling it up - also set your retention periods carefully when doing this

Generally if you do backups at both sites and want to duplicate one site to the other you would want a much larger MSDP pool at site B

Hope this helps

Nicenavin
Level 4
Certified

Thanks a lot...

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Dont forget once your question is answered to close the thread off using the "Mark as solution" option

Nicenavin
Level 4
Certified

Yes i will do.... Thanks Mark

Nick_J
Level 4

Does the issue has been resolved?

Nicenavin
Level 4
Certified

Not yet .....

Nick J , Do u have any idea about it?

Nicenavin
Level 4
Certified

Configured Dedup volume in site A and B and staging process started for backup movement...

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Issue not yet resolved?

It seems your issue is with transfer rates when you duplicate backups from site A to site B, right?

The first duplication needs to send EVERYTHING. Nothing we can do about your bandwith. You need to allow this to complete. No way around this unless you can pick up media server and storage at Site A and move to site B to ensure best possible bandwidth for initial duplication.
Only after initial copy (seeding) has completed will Optimized Duplication start and send only changed blocks to site B.

If the changes are more than 40GB per day on site A, you need to upgrade the network between the 2 sites. Nothing can be done from NBU point of view if bandwith between sites is inadequate.

Nicenavin
Level 4
Certified

Hi Marianne,

Thanks for asking. The backup issue has been resolved.

1. I have configured the MSDP in site A and Basic Disk in Site B. Monitored the backup and found the same through put.

2.Then configured the Site B also as MSDP. Now i am getting successful backups, though i have tape library in site B. Therefore, my current configuration is D2D2T.

3.Crearted the SLP for the D2D2T.

Thanks & Regards,

N