Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deduplication question

Chrisb2k
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi all,

Just been looking at NetBackup appliances for a customer and a question comes to mind that wasn't so much of a consideration when I last had to do think about it (i.e. before Exchange and SQL were virtualised to any great extent).

Do dedupe ratios remain the same if, say, Exchange us running on a vm and stored on a datastore?

Or to put it another way, would Exchange running on a vm be classed as Exchange data or VMWare data, being that it lives within a VMDK file?

Thanks,

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

It is VMware data .... but then it does dig down into the vmdk and dedupe .. so that captured application state would be exchange snapshot data just like it was using a traditional client

I dont have a system to prove it to you as yet but i dont think you need to worry too much ... i get the same dedeupe ratio's for my exchange VMs as i do my traditional ones.

Having said that i am about to change a set of Exchange VMs back over to traditional agent based backups .. simply due to their size and to control the exchange backups in a better way (many reasonable size database backups VS one 3.5 TB backup)

Hope that helps .. although i cannot say that it will use the same fingerprints but based on how the capture works i would think that it would

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

It is VMware data .... but then it does dig down into the vmdk and dedupe .. so that captured application state would be exchange snapshot data just like it was using a traditional client

I dont have a system to prove it to you as yet but i dont think you need to worry too much ... i get the same dedeupe ratio's for my exchange VMs as i do my traditional ones.

Having said that i am about to change a set of Exchange VMs back over to traditional agent based backups .. simply due to their size and to control the exchange backups in a better way (many reasonable size database backups VS one 3.5 TB backup)

Hope that helps .. although i cannot say that it will use the same fingerprints but based on how the capture works i would think that it would

Chrisb2k
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Great, thanks for the reply!

C.