cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default-Application-Backup on Activity Monitor (Oracle)

-The_GodFather-
Level 4
Partner
I run an Oracle Full DB backup policy w/ a Default-Application-Backup schedule and a Full Automatic Backup schedule. When I checked the Activity Monitor there is 1 Full and 1 Default-Application-Backup running, after 4mins the Default-Application-Schedule was done then another Default-Application-Schedule was initiated. I'm wondering, after the backup was done I saw  "9 Default-Application-Backup and 1 Full Backup" at the Activity Monitor, is this normal? Because on my other Oracle Full DB backup policy (another client) there was only  "4 Default-Application-Backup" on the Activity Monitor.

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

Anton_Panyushki
Level 6
Certified

It is normal. Got used to that. :)

FrSchind
Level 5
Partner
depends on your oracle configuration. there are settings in rman like the maximum size for one rman "package" - if your database exceeds this value, multiple "packages" will be created, resulting in multiple netbackup Default-Application-Backup schedules. if controlfile autobackup is also on, there will always be at least 2 "packages".  Using mutliple channels will of course generate multiple packets too..

Here is some info on configuring these rman parameters: http://www.idevelopment.info/data/Oracle/DBA_tips/RMAN_9i/RMAN9_5.shtml

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited
@Godfather

There is something called as Parent job and Client job concept in NBU.

For more information on the parent and child job refer to the Page no 55 from the NBU Admin Guide I

NBUTSE
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified
When you define an Oracle policy, you'll notice (like you already have) that you an application-backup schedule, and an automatic schedule.  The automatic schedule is responsible for initiating RMAN, and it does that by calling a shell script, or a bat/cmd file, or a NetBackup template (.tpl) file.  Once that script or batch file or template completes there is a return code, if you're using the NetBackup sample scripts, you'll see that we launch RMAN, and inherit RMAN's return code, and then cascade that as the return code for the automatic job.

Through side effect, the shell script/batch file/template will call RMAN, Oracle's Recovery MANager, and it will be instructed to perform a backup of some data (the scripts can also call for restores, but we're talking backups here).  From there RMAN will use the libobk library, which is replaced with a NetBackup specifc library when you run the oracle_link script, to call back to NetBackup and perform a backup.  RMAN sends backup set pieces to NetBackup, so RMAN will take the data it is suppose to send us, and group it into sets, and then into pieces of sets, each backup set piece is sent as an independant backup request, and those backup requests are received by the master server's bprd process, which in turn looks for an Oracle type policy where there is an open application backup schedule, and the oracle server is in policy's clients list.  For each backup set piece sent you'll see an application-backup schedule job.

The total number of sets pieces is determined by RMAN, although you can tell RMAN to use MAXFILESPERSET to configure the total number of files sent per backup set, or MAXSETSIZE to configure how large each backup set piece can be.  The number of concurrent application-backup jobs you see running is defined by how many CHANNELS you've allocated for your backup.

-Sean

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
In a quick way those are the Oracle channels configured by you DBA under the RMAN script.