cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default Values for Symantec Net Backup Buffers

Simsum
Level 3

Hi all,

My organization has a symantec Net Backup 7.1.0.4 that was recently upgraded to 7.5.0.4. Our backup method is D2D2Tape (disk staging). 

We are experiencing some slow performence in backing up to disk and we fealt that modifying the following parameters my bring about significant improvement in performance:size_data_buffers; number_data_buffers; size_data_buffers_disk; number_data_buffers_disk and number_data_buffers_restore. 

My question now is how do I get the default values for these tunable parameters; I have checked the default directory for the Net Backup installation i.e "c:/program files/veritas/db/config" but there are no such files there.

Please help.

Regards,

8 REPLIES 8

inn_kam
Level 6
Partner Accredited

DOCUMENTATION: Description of Symantec NetBackup Disk Staging Relocation Behavior

Article:TECH44719

| 

Created: 2005-01-08

| 

Updated: 2010-10-02

| 

Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH44719

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH44719

NBU Best Practice - Using tape Storage with Deduplicating Disk Storage (April 2011) (1).pdf

NetBackup_70_71_Tuning_guide (2).pdf

Hope it helps

Mark it as solution if helps

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Buffer files in config folders need to be created and custom values inserted.

Default values used by NBU is recorded in bptm log file on each media server. Log folders need to be created to enable logs.
These days buffer sizes in use is also reported in Job details.

You can also find defaults in the Backup Planning and Performance Tuning Guide http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC4483  (no new doc for 7.5, so this doc still applies).

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You can see the current values in the detailed tab of the activity monitor for each job.

Remember the buffer setting must be created using UPPERCASE, eg NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS not number_data_buffers.

Simsum
Level 3

Thanks all, i must say that am quite impressed by the responses that i have gotten from the community so far; especially with this being my first post/time on the forum.

However, I haven't been able to get the actual information that i needed. I have downloaded various Net Backup documentations (especially all the ones mentioned above) and i have gone through them especially the one that addressed "Tuning performance" but i can't seem to to the exact place in the document where default values for the parameters in question were mentioned.

Please help...i need the default values asap.

Counting on the community once again. 

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Defaults in the Performance tuning guide under this topic:

Default size of shared data buffers
The default size of shared data buffers for various NetBackup operations is shown
in Table 7-4.

As I've state previously:
You can see what buffer sizes and numbers are used by default in your environment by looking for 'buffer' entries in bptm log on your media servers.

Simsum
Level 3

thanks all

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Try 262144 is SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS and 128 or 256 in NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS (try 128 and then 256 to see which gives best perfomance) These values generally work well for LTO drives