cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting files from the destination folder when backup completed

Alex-Logan
Level 2

When creating a task for backing up a folder with files using NetBackup, i need configure automatic deleting files when the backup is finished. But I can't find the function to delete files in the folder source. I looked in the manuals of NetBackup admin, I did not find such functionality anywhere. Please tell me there is a function to delete files in the source folder after the backup task is completed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Look for archive in the admin manuals.

Also there is a good blog here:

https://www.settlersoman.com/how-to-archive-files-using-a-netbackup-policy/

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Look for archive in the admin manuals.

Also there is a good blog here:

https://www.settlersoman.com/how-to-archive-files-using-a-netbackup-policy/

Thanks!! very helpful!

jnardello
   VIP    Certified

For whatever it's worth, I would recommend you reconsider how you're going to architect this process. Having NBU in charge of deleting someone's files means that YOU are taking responsibility for whether they should be deleted or not. If NBU hiccups or there's some weird fencepost bug and something gets deleted without first being backed up, that's on you. 

I would highly recommend having the app owner (whomever that is) throw together a quick script to call a manual backup of that directory at their need, and then once they are convinced that their data is sufficiently protected they can delete their own files. You can even show them how to call bplist from their side post-backup to validate which files have been protected to help them make their decision. 

It's called "NetBackup" though, not "NetDelete." Never take ownership of deleting someone's files, that way lies madness and leads to long meetings with Upper Management. It's also been known to be a RGE (Resume Generating Event) on occasion. =) 

Best of luck.