cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did the number os policies increase CPU usage on media server?

Eduardo_Aguiar
Level 3

Hi,

I would like some help on the issues i'm getting into my netbackup enviroment.

Recently our Data Domain disks pool started to get full, so i discovered that i cannot expire parte of an backup image.

That's why i change all policies and granulate all of them. For example, i had a police that backups 15 VMs, i separated each VM in a single police, the same with file system, i had a police that bakcups File Server + PST and i separeted into one policy to each function. I believe that i can have more control on future expires if necessaries.

Resuming, The amount of data is the same, but in more policies.

After this work i realized that the backups are getting more slower and the media server increasing CPU usage up to 100%. Is there a relation betwen numbers of policies and CPU usage on the media server?

Thank You for your help, and sorry for my bad english. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

L_BR
Level 5

I don't believe that the number of policies impacts the CPU on the Media server significantly.

Have you checked task manager/resource monitor when CPU is running high? 

Are jobs running/how many jobs are running when you notice high CPU utilization?

Might be AV running against your media server that spikes the CPU usage.

View solution in original post

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

What was the number of simultaneous jobs on media server before the policy changes?
And what are the number of simultaneous jobs after the change?

The max number of jobs that a media server can handle will depend on physical resources - memory, cpu and network (from clients and to DD).

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

L_BR
Level 5

I don't believe that the number of policies impacts the CPU on the Media server significantly.

Have you checked task manager/resource monitor when CPU is running high? 

Are jobs running/how many jobs are running when you notice high CPU utilization?

Might be AV running against your media server that spikes the CPU usage.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

What was the number of simultaneous jobs on media server before the policy changes?
And what are the number of simultaneous jobs after the change?

The max number of jobs that a media server can handle will depend on physical resources - memory, cpu and network (from clients and to DD).

I think it was an isolated comportament. I restarted media server services and today the media server has a calm CPU usage.

Before the changes we have about 50 policies and turns to 100 policies. I was afraid of that changes.

Thanks everyone for the help.

If you are working with Windows machines, remember that maintenance needs to be done on them. We've seen some interesting performance issues on windows boxes across our entire environment because certain OS teams/Application owners don't do regular reboots.