cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between MediaServer and PureDisk DeDup

Thomas_Schulz_3
Level 5

Hallo.

I've got the PureDisk DeDup licence, and i'm very happy !

But what is t´he difference between Media Server DeDup Pool and PureDisk DeDup Pool.

I only need the Deduplication beature and i think the best choice is the Media Server DeDup Pool.

.... and what is the "OpenStorage" and the "Advanced Disk" feature ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

PeteWall
Level 4
Employee

The PureDisk dedupe pool is for connecting a NetBackup media server to a PureDisk storage pool.  This setup is often called PureDisk Deduplication Option (PDDO).  To use this, you would need to have a separate PureDisk configuration, which would include the 5000 series of appliances.

Media Server Deduplication Pool (MSDP) takes engine and internal operations of a standalone PureDisk installation and adds it internally to the NetBackup media server.  Configuring this option will create a new MSDP configuration on the selected media server.  I believe this is what you're looking for.

OpenStorage is an interface between NetBackup and storage providers.  Both MSDP and PDDO use OpenStorage as the method to communicate with NetBackup.

Advanced Disk is another storage destination that uses OpenStorage.  It does not have deduplication.

I hope you enjoy our dedupe offerings!

-Pete

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO15404

MSDP - Netbackup Software component that perform de-duplication. Limit 64TB back end storage

PDDO - Appliance box (5000 series) that perform de-duplication (very simplified). Limit 192TB back end storage.

Netbackup Openstorage / Advanced disk : 

http://eval.symantec.com/mktginfo/enterprise/white_papers/b-whitepaper_nbu_disk_based_data_protection_options_4_2008.pdf

PeteWall
Level 4
Employee

The PureDisk dedupe pool is for connecting a NetBackup media server to a PureDisk storage pool.  This setup is often called PureDisk Deduplication Option (PDDO).  To use this, you would need to have a separate PureDisk configuration, which would include the 5000 series of appliances.

Media Server Deduplication Pool (MSDP) takes engine and internal operations of a standalone PureDisk installation and adds it internally to the NetBackup media server.  Configuring this option will create a new MSDP configuration on the selected media server.  I believe this is what you're looking for.

OpenStorage is an interface between NetBackup and storage providers.  Both MSDP and PDDO use OpenStorage as the method to communicate with NetBackup.

Advanced Disk is another storage destination that uses OpenStorage.  It does not have deduplication.

I hope you enjoy our dedupe offerings!

-Pete

StefanosM
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Is puredisk software still available for download or the software is only available with 5020 appliance?

I have some puredisk installations installed at other ventor software.

Anshu_Pathak
Level 5

After Puredisk Appliance release old puredisk software was termed as Classic puredisk and it is still available for download.