Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between diagnostic level and debug level in unified logs

Juannillus
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello, 

I can't seem to find an answer to the difference between diagnostic level and debug level parametres in unified logging. Can anyone explain it to me?

Kind regards, 

Juan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The default log levels are diag 6 an debug 1.

When NBU writes to the log file, certain lines are only written it the debug level or diag level is set high enough.

Example  from nbpem log

29/05/2012 09:09:37.460 [Debug] NB 51216 nbpem 116 PID:796 TID:6 File ID:116 [No context] 4 [PemPolicyCache::getDirtyList] (ID:1014871c8) No policies found dirty(PemPolicyCache.cpp:1460)

This line is written if the debug level is set to 4 
We see [Debug] showing the line type and the level is the 4 after [No context]

So this line is only written in the debug level is set to 4, or higher

Similar for Diag.

29/05/2012 08:30:00.108 [Diagnostic] NB 51216 nbpem 116 PID:796 TID:6 File ID:116 [No context] 1 V-116-248 [ProcessDefinition::runIt] spawned command /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/session_start_notify, pid=6201

This line is a Diag line and will be written to the log, providing the Diag level is set to at least 1.

The line type (Debug or Diag) is defined in the NBU code.

Simply, Dubug lines are more for troubleshooting, and show more 'error' related messages.

Diag should always be left at 6, Debug can be reduced to make the logs smaller, and increaesd for troubleshooting.

There is no way of telling what level you increase it to for a given issue, unless you run the logs and see what level particular lines are set to, or happen to know through experience.

vxlogview commands should always be run ..

vxlogview -p 51216 -i <oid> -d all ...

Martin

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The default log levels are diag 6 an debug 1.

When NBU writes to the log file, certain lines are only written it the debug level or diag level is set high enough.

Example  from nbpem log

29/05/2012 09:09:37.460 [Debug] NB 51216 nbpem 116 PID:796 TID:6 File ID:116 [No context] 4 [PemPolicyCache::getDirtyList] (ID:1014871c8) No policies found dirty(PemPolicyCache.cpp:1460)

This line is written if the debug level is set to 4 
We see [Debug] showing the line type and the level is the 4 after [No context]

So this line is only written in the debug level is set to 4, or higher

Similar for Diag.

29/05/2012 08:30:00.108 [Diagnostic] NB 51216 nbpem 116 PID:796 TID:6 File ID:116 [No context] 1 V-116-248 [ProcessDefinition::runIt] spawned command /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/session_start_notify, pid=6201

This line is a Diag line and will be written to the log, providing the Diag level is set to at least 1.

The line type (Debug or Diag) is defined in the NBU code.

Simply, Dubug lines are more for troubleshooting, and show more 'error' related messages.

Diag should always be left at 6, Debug can be reduced to make the logs smaller, and increaesd for troubleshooting.

There is no way of telling what level you increase it to for a given issue, unless you run the logs and see what level particular lines are set to, or happen to know through experience.

vxlogview commands should always be run ..

vxlogview -p 51216 -i <oid> -d all ...

Martin

Juannillus
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Martin,

you're the man ;)

thanks for your prompt answer. It's clarified my question perfectly.

Regards, 

Juan