Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between netbackup 6.x and 7.x

RajkumarBaniwal
Level 4
Certified

Hi,

Can any one please let me know the differences between Netbackup 6.x and 7.x .Only differences(not features)

Thanks,

Rajkumar

Regards,
Rajkumar Baniwal
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
9 REPLIES 9

Ashish-Sharma
Level 6
Accredited

Marianne

Symantec NetBackup™ 7—What’s New and Version Comparison Matrix :

Symantec NetBackup™ 7.5—What’s New and Version Comparison Matrix :

RajkumarBaniwal
Level 4
Certified

Hi,

Thanks for replying me.

Like as in netbackup 5.x v/s 6.x there are two major differences. One is EMM and another is catalog. Like wise I need only differences as I found features only in these books.

Regards,

Rajkumar Baniwal

Regards,
Rajkumar Baniwal

watsons
Level 6

Your question is probably too wide for a simple answer.

If we don't talk about features such as deduplication at all... the biggest change would be:

Image database has been built into NBDB from NB7.5 onwards. NB7.1 still have image database saved as files format, NB7.5 you will still some files there but another part of that info has been migrated into the database.

Other differences between 6.x & 7.x, that I am aware of, will be changes to synthetic backup handling, End-of-support for VSP snapshot and a few more OS types. I guess there are much more, you just have to read admin guides and sometimes figure it out from real-life work.

Marianne

The new features in the comparison URLs is what is different.

ashish_patil01
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

hello Raj,

It would be better if you can let us know what differences you are looking for, So that it will easier for us to understand the query and also to reply on it and another fact is when we look the differences between the versions it is features which are more focused and targeted on and thats why you will see people talking more about features.

Thanks

Ashish

RajkumarBaniwal
Level 4
Certified

thanks watson and all team members. that can help me somehow.

Regards,
Rajkumar Baniwal

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

The most IMPORTANT difference is that NetBackup 7.x is a supported version, while you won't be able to open a support case if you're running NetBackup 6.x.

payadav6
Level 1

Starting with NetBackup NBU 7.5, all backup image metadata is stored NBDB, Previous versions stored this data in either the NBDB or the flat ASCII files (image header files)