cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between these Application and Database Packs and Licensing

User0511
Level 3

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone please help me understand the difference between the below mentioned application and database packs and how does the licenseing differ for them. Any help is much appreciated and any document would be of great help.

1. a. VRTS NETBACKUP CLIENT APPLICATION AND DATABASE PACK 6.5 LNX TIER 2 STD LIC EXPRESS BAND S

What does Band signify and how is this pack licensed?

2. a. VRTS NETBACKUP ENTERPRISE CLIENT 6.5 LNX TIER 2 STD LIC EXPRESS BAND S

b. VRTS NETBACKUP SERVER ENTERPRISE SERVER 6.5 WIN TIER 2 STD LIC EXPRESS BAND S

What is the difference between Enterprise Client Enterprise Server and how is the licensing different in both of these?

3. VRTS STORAGE FOUNDATION ENTERPRISE HA 5.0 SOL TIER H STD LIC EXPRESS BAND S

How is the storage foundation licensed?

Would again appreciate if i can get any help on the above mentioned and any document or knowledge transfer for these.

Thanks in advance

Regards

P.Rust

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Application & Database Pack allows you to perform backups of live open databases on a host.

Ownership of an Enterprise Client license means you can "use" those features on a specific number of hosts.  The old manuals will show the different installation processes.  No, it does not allow you to use it on all clients.  You notionally control which hosts you use it on, and how many.   If you use that license too many times, and then Veritas find out through a license usage audit, then you and your IT director will be in big trouble.  When you add one "Enterprise Client license" to a master server, then that enables the features.  It is then up to you to use that feature on no more than the number of hosts that your license "Qty" is for.  If you had one Enterprise Client license then there is nothing to stop you making the msitake of using the Enterprise Cient license features on more than one client, but that's technically software theft.  If I remember correctly, then all clients have the code for Enterprise Client installed when you install the normal client packages.

Whether you need 10 enterprise client licenses or not depends upon what features you are using.  Normally ten plain client licenses would be enough.  Depends how you are doing your backups.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

sdo

Q1. a.) VRTS NETBACKUP CLIENT APPLICATION AND DATABASE PACK 6.5 LNX TIER 2 STD LIC EXPRESS BAND S

What does Band signify and how is this pack licensed?

A1a) The band is a pricing group, and nothing to do with actual usage.

The 'Tier 2' signifies that the license can be used on a host with several physically populated CPU sockets.  It is not the number of "cores" or "threads" of a CPU.

LNX signfies for a Linux host.  Not Unix (Solaris), not Windows.

Q2. a.) VRTS NETBACKUP ENTERPRISE CLIENT 6.5 LNX TIER 2 STD LIC EXPRESS BAND S

b.) VRTS NETBACKUP SERVER ENTERPRISE SERVER 6.5 WIN TIER 2 STD LIC EXPRESS BAND S

What is the difference between Enterprise Client Enterprise Server and how is the licensing different in both of these?

A2a.b.) Enterprise Client allows your client to use advanced features, e.g. to be a "SAN Client" in NetBackup terms.

Enterprise Server allows you to run a Master, or Master/Media, or Media "Server" instance of NetBackup.

Same re Tier 2.

Here you have one for Enterprise Client Linux, and one Enterprise Server for Windows.

Q3.) VRTS STORAGE FOUNDATION ENTERPRISE HA 5.0 SOL TIER H STD LIC EXPRESS BAND S

How is the storage foundation licensed?

A3) It would seem to be tiered also, with 'H' probably referring to the number of CPUs or "power" of the CPU of the host.  But I'm not 100% sure on this.

A4) All of the above license "line items" can have a quantity, i.e. the number of different hosts.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Licensing guides are not publicly available - you need to request a copy from your Veritas reseller.

'Band' related reward system is no longer used.

The Band levels had to do with the volume/quantity your company buys and determined the level of discount.

Band S points to low quantity with no special discount.

NetBackup 6.5 reached EOSL more than 3 years ago (Oct 2012). 
You will no longer be able to renew those licenses.

Enterprise client enables a bunch of features for a client:
- SAN Media server (client is configured as media server to only backup itself)
- Snapshot Client
- VMware backups - licensed per ESX server
- Hyper-V backup - licensed per Hyper-V server

Enterprise server is a Master and/or Media server that can backup clients on the network.

Storage Foundation licensing has changed dramatically since version 5.0 (ran out of support in 2014).
Speak to your reseller. 

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Netbackup 6.5 ran out of support in 2012.

Planning on a upgrade ?

If you don't have a maintenance contract with Veritas, you will likely need to buy new licenses.

User0511
Level 3

Hi SDO & Marianne,

Appreciate your revert and help with regards to my query. Additionally i would need to understand what exactly does an "Application & Database Pack" mean?

When you say that "Enterprise client enables a bunch of features for a client:" does it mean that enterprise client is installed on all end machines/machines connecting to Enterprise server? 

If there is one enterprise server and there are 10 machines which are acting as clients to the same server whose data is backed up on the enterprise server so do i need 10 enterprise client licenses also?

I am sure my questions may sound very basic, but i would really appreciate your help in this regards.

Thanks In Advance

User0511
Level 3

Hi SDO & Marianne,

Appreciate your revert and help with regards to my query. Additionally i would need to understand what exactly does an "Application & Database Pack" mean?

When you say that "Enterprise client enables a bunch of features for a client:" does it mean that enterprise client is installed on all end machines/machines connecting to Enterprise server? 

If there is one enterprise server and there are 10 machines which are acting as clients to the same server whose data is backed up on the enterprise server so do i need 10 enterprise client licenses also?

I am sure my questions may sound very basic, but i would really appreciate your help in this regards.

Thanks In Advance

Marianne

Application & Database Pack license includes all of these agents:
 Oracle
 Microsoft SQL Server, Microsoft Exchange Server, Microsoft SharePoint, Microsoft Active Directory
 IBM DB2, IBM Lotus Notes
 Informix
 Sybase
One license is required for each server/client that is backed up with these policy types on top of Client license.

Enterprise Client license is ONLY needed for clients with the need for one of those special features thst I have listed in my previous post.

Normal network clients only need Standard license.

I am repeating myself:

PLEASE contact you local reseller about license requirements.

sdo

Application & Database Pack allows you to perform backups of live open databases on a host.

Ownership of an Enterprise Client license means you can "use" those features on a specific number of hosts.  The old manuals will show the different installation processes.  No, it does not allow you to use it on all clients.  You notionally control which hosts you use it on, and how many.   If you use that license too many times, and then Veritas find out through a license usage audit, then you and your IT director will be in big trouble.  When you add one "Enterprise Client license" to a master server, then that enables the features.  It is then up to you to use that feature on no more than the number of hosts that your license "Qty" is for.  If you had one Enterprise Client license then there is nothing to stop you making the msitake of using the Enterprise Cient license features on more than one client, but that's technically software theft.  If I remember correctly, then all clients have the code for Enterprise Client installed when you install the normal client packages.

Whether you need 10 enterprise client licenses or not depends upon what features you are using.  Normally ten plain client licenses would be enough.  Depends how you are doing your backups.

Marianne

I mananged to find an online version of NBU 6.5 Licensing Guide (no idea how this happened as Licensing Guides are not meant to be publicly available).

http://www.veritas.com/community/sites/default/files/NBU6_5_license-support_guide_partner.pdf 

Contact you reseller (or find one here: http://veritas.force.com/public ) to map 6.5 licenses to 7.7.x and to discuss newer licensing options (such as Capacity).

User0511
Level 3

Thanks a lot Marianne for the document. I will read the document in detail first and then accordingly reach out to the vendor.

Thanks SDO for providing the most basic understanding. Really helps! :)