cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different Problem while Upgrade to 8.0 from 7.1.04

galebalam
Level 3

Hello All,

We want to upgrade our NetBackup environment from 7.1.04 to 8.0 from a Solaris 10  (Physical Sparc )to a Redhat 6.7 (VmWare Virtual Machine). Following the upgarding steps we were proceeding but we got different troubles.

We did followings:

1. We installed 7.1 NetBackup on the new Virtual Machine (our future master server)

2. Ran Catalog Restore via cmd line  bprecover -wizard (selecting the last good Full Catalogbackup file).

3. Upgraded to patch level 7.1.04.

4. We then upgraded to 8.0 

And now we tested if we can run a backup (by creatinga test policy where storage unig is a local basic disk) but we got this status code 2106.

when i ran the following command :

[root@franbp1 opt]# nbdevquery -listdp -stype BasicDisk -U
Disk Pool Name : catalogbackup
Disk Pool Id : INValid
Disk Type : BasicDisk
Flag : Patchwork
Flag : SingleStorageServer
Flag : AdminUp
Flag : InternalUp
Flag : SpanImages
Flag : BasicStaging
Flag : FragmentImages
Flag : CatalogBackup
Flag : Cpr
Flag : RandomWrites
Flag : FT-Transfer
Raw Size (GB) : 344.91
Usable Size (GB) : 344.91
High Watermark : 98
Low Watermark : 80
Num Volumes : 1
Max IO Streams : -1
Comment : Generic disk group
Storage Server : enigmab (UP)

[root@franbp1 opt]#

I saw 'Disk Pool Id' is invalid is it normal to see this.

--

Also please note we also tried to upgarde the software like following then we had following error

I checked the checksum of the tar zip files of the Patch 7.1.0.4 on the Netbackup web site which matched to my server's md5sums checksum.

Hope anybody can help on this?

Also we have tried doing as followings Step 1,3 and then Step 2 but then we had another issue  that is we could not recover the catalogs. We got following error:

[root@enigmab etc]# bprecover -wizard

Welcome to the NetBackup Catalog Recovery Wizard!

Please make sure the devices and media that contain catalog disaster recovery
data are available
Are you ready to continue?(Y/N)

Invalid option. Please enter Y or N
Y

Please specify the full pathname to the catalog disaster recovery file:
/catbackup/CatalogBackup_1503826711_FULL
bprecover: symbol lookup error: /usr/openv/lib/libVdb.so: undefined symbol: db_OpenImgWithLockByPathNb
[root@enigmab etc]#

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You and your colleague posted about the same issue:

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/Upgrade-NBU-7-1-gt-7-1-0-4-gt-8-0/m-p/837657

Maybe decide which post to go ahead with and consolidate efforts and replies.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

I would patch to 7.1.0.4 before doing the catalog recover if that is level of the original master.

Think you should make sure that the 7.X version is working properly before upgrading to 8.

So the steps will be 

1. Install 7.1

2. Patch to 7.1.04

3. Recover 7.1.0.4 catalog

4. Test backup

5. Test restore

6. If tests are succesful, upgrade to 8.0

7. Test backup

8. Test restore

Have you new master the same name as the old one ? 

That said I have seen that storage server some time is not UP after a upgrade, some times a restart of netbackup will solve it.

Our basicdisk units also shows INValid for the poolid.

I am sorry, but I am afraid you will have to start over to get this to work.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Marianne

Can we assume that you did a catalog backup on Solaris master to basic disk?
And that you are now presenting that same basic disk location to the Linux server?

What was the mountpoint for the disk storage unit where you wrote the catalogbackup on the Solaris server?

Have you mounted it to the same path on the Linux server?

Marianne

Looking at your steps again, this is not right:

1. We installed 7.1 NetBackup on the new Virtual Machine (our future master server)

2. Ran Catalog Restore via cmd line  bprecover -wizard (selecting the last good Full Catalogbackup file).

3. Upgraded to patch level 7.1.04

If your Solaris installation is on 7.1.0.4, then your steps should be as follows:

1.  Install 7.1 NetBackup on the new Virtual Machine (using same hostname and same installation path as Solaris server)
2. Upgraded to patch level 7.1.0.4.
3. Present last catalog backup (referenced in DR-file) to same path as on Solaris server
4. Run Catalog Restore via cmd line  bprecover -wizard (selecting the last good Full Catalogbackup file).

When above is successful, confirm that NBU starts up fine, that you can access all STUs that existed on Solaris master (bearing in mind that tape is not supported on virtual master), that you can browse catalogs and perform test restore, etc.

Only then prepare to upgrade to NBU 8. 
Please confirm that all pre-reqs are in place before you attempt the upgrade.

Dear Marianne and Michael,

Thanks for the replies. We tried also this steps: 

Answering Marianne's (orange) posts 

1.  Install 7.1 NetBackup on the new Virtual Machine (using same hostname and same installation path as Solaris server)

We used same hostname as in the solaris server.on the /etc/syscinfig/network we wrote enigmab as our host (like the Solaris 10 server). The Solaris server has two interfaces one is franbp1 in one VLAN and other one enigmab which is in tegh backup VLAN. 

So kept the same on the virtual machine. And while installation of the 7.1 Netbackup software we enetred the master server name as enigmab and EMMSERVER also enigmab.

2. Upgraded to patch level 7.1.0.4.

We upgraded no error were see on the pack.history file. Nor a single warning message.
3. Present last catalog backup (referenced in DR-file) to same path as on Solaris server
4. Run Catalog Restore via cmd line  bprecover -wizard (selecting the last good Full Catalogbackup file).

This is where the problem with the library is seen 

root@enigmab etc]# bprecover -wizard

Welcome to the NetBackup Catalog Recovery Wizard!

Please make sure the devices and media that contain catalog disaster recovery
data are available
Are you ready to continue?(Y/N)

Invalid option. Please enter Y or N
Y

Please specify the full pathname to the catalog disaster recovery file:
/catbackup/CatalogBackup_1503826711_FULL
bprecover: symbol lookup error: /usr/openv/lib/libVdb.so: undefined symbol: db_OpenImgWithLockByPathNb
[root@enigmab etc]#

When above is successful, confirm that NBU starts up fine, that you can access all STUs that existed on Solaris master (bearing in mind that tape is not supported on virtual master), that you can browse catalogs and perform test restore, etc.

But when we installed 7.1 then run catalog restore no problems with the libraries were seen. that is why we installed 7.1.0.4 later on.

Only then prepare to upgrade to NBU 8. 
Please confirm that all pre-reqs are in place before you attempt the upgrade.

++++

Regarding the BasicDisk.

The disk is a NFS mounted File System from another VM on the Solaris 10 master server.

/catbackup

To keep the /catbackup path same on the (future) master server we also created /catbackup server.

**not sure this will help:

The old enigmab(Solaris 10) master acts also as a Media server too, and was Robot Controliing host.

We changed it Robot controlling host to another media server a windos Physical server (which will be replaced witha NetBackup Appliance).

Hi Marianne and Michael,

Thanks for the replies. I wrote a reply just sometime ago but don't see that on the forum.

Anyways let me re-write the things.

We tried to do as Marianne wrote that installed 7.1 and installed 7.1.0.4 BUT then we had this library problems as seen in my 1st post.

Regarding the BasicDisk it is a NFS mounted FileSystem mounted to a VM.

/catbackup on 10.64.2.30:/catbackup remote/read/write/setuid/devices/rstchown/ve rs=4/xattr/dev=6080001 on Mon Aug 28 14:39:07 2017

where 10.64.2.30 is a Virtual Machine (not the future Masterserver).

On the future Master server “enigmab” there is also /catbackup a local file system (we did that to make the Path “as from where to recover simple).

Thanks

Galeb.

Marianne

You and your colleague posted about the same issue:

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/Upgrade-NBU-7-1-gt-7-1-0-4-gt-8-0/m-p/837657

Maybe decide which post to go ahead with and consolidate efforts and replies.