cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different Vault Profiles

Kai2209
Level 4

Hi,

i am in the process of changing the vault configuration. We used LTO5 and now LTO6 which means there is now a new volume group for the vaulting process.

I am now trying to understand why there is a separate vault profile for "Full" and another for "Diff" Backup. Maybe there is somebody who can help to understand why this has been done.

thanks for help

Kai

9 REPLIES 9

Genericus
   VIP   

In short, it is likely they select the Backup Type Attribute to either select the Full backup or a diff backup.

I have a few Vault profiles, mostly so I can specify what I want removed.

One thing I wish they had, was the abillity to select only completely FULL tapes.

Each profile allows you to select 

When was the backup run? My daily vault is for the last few days, but not the last few hours. I have a weekly vault that vaults backups over 5 days.

This prevents a recalled tape being vaulted before I can run the restore...

You can select attributes and locations

Attributes by Client/Backup Type/Media Server/Policy/Schedule/Retention

Location by Basic Disk/Disk Pool/Volume Group/Volume Pool

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

sankar_28
Level 4

Hi

As per my understanding it was for business purpose, the volumes used for FULL and INCR backup vaulted seperated might be due to following 

1) To count the media usage easily for FULL & INCR seperatly.

2) As FULL backup runs weekly, for vaulting daily backups on daily basis INCR vault might be created.( assuming  FULL vault runs on weekly basis & INCR  vault runs on daily basis) 

thanks for your answers. The Full backup runs every 30days and the Diff runs daily. The Full are stored for 10 years and the Diff will expire after 1 year. So maybe it was done because of the differnt retention times ?

Maybe i have a global misunderstanding but am i right that the media being vaulted will be recalled after image(s) are expired. So after a full Backup (retention time 10years) this media will be stored offline for 10years even it is not full ?

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

It's not so much "will be recalled", and more a case of "might be recalled".  It totally depends upon what you, or anyone else before you, has configured and/or scripted.

ok sure but if you vault daily and have a minimum retention time of lets say 1 year you need a minimum of 365 medias before one comes back from vault. Am i right ?

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Yes, if you backup every day, and you vault everyday, and the media go off-site every day.   What I meant about rmedia recall is that I can't see your config, so I can't say that the media "will" come, only that they "could" come back.

i think i understand...but is there a way to recall vaulted media before images are expired ?

i can post the config but i cannot see any option and the manual says...image needs to be expired... so i think there is no other way

The 2 separate profiles in your env. were created out of business purpose, I believe. The best is to ask whoever created them in the first place to understand the reasonings behind.

Daily vaulting and offsite sounds very expensive (at least to me), wouldn't do that even for very important data - duplication or replication is more reasonable.

Vaulted media can be recalled before image expired, this can happen when your customer requests for restore of some long-term old data. It is more of a process than technical step, in NBU when media comes back onto the library, the volume group changes. Once the restore is done it goes back to offsite and you may not even need to change the "vaulted" column.

Also, image is vaulted based on retention, but whether the vaulted tapes being shipped to offsite (on time) is something that NBU does not know or control. Again this is more process-oriented, if your org follows procedure all very strictly, when a vaulted media gets returned back onsite, it means the images should have been expired logically (not physically, because we tend to write-protect our offsite tapes)

thanks everybody for your support. Since we have five tape drives in our robot, daily backups and vaults we will consume a lot of tapes :(

I thought there is way to tell the vaulting process to return media maybe after 30 days (independently of the expiration date) to continue writing on the media because there is space left..