cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Differential Backup running as a full. Does renaming TIR_INFO file corrupt the backup?

Les_Denniss
Level 4

Hello hope someone can help

Please see the link below as I am having the same problem and we are running NetBackup 7.6.0.1

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/incremental-running-full-tir-move-detection-turned

We need to move this file server share to another disk and it does take some time to backup for a full. We now have a full but when the differentials run the TIR_INFO file is not being renamed still says new so the differential runs as a full.

It does run a differential if I renane the file, but will this affect the data when I come to do the Synthetic Full?

Failing that I will uninstall the client and re install, but we have 18 other drives on this cluster which do not have this problem

But does re naming the TIR_INFO file affect the backup?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Les, I will hold my hands up and say "I don't know if thats normal" - there is nothing in our KM system relating to RECYCLE.BIN under tir_info. Seems to be backup specific to the G drive.

However, if the incremental is now working, then I would say you are good to go.

you may want to schedule a Synthetic full just to ensure its working as designed.

Good luck and report back if you have further issues.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Never tried it. If the full is working but the INCs are acting as fulls, give it a try. No harm. You will need to re-run a full first though.

If it doesn;t work you could re-install but seems a bit drastic to me.

Les_Denniss
Level 4

Hi revaroo - thanks for your comment.

When the full completed the tir_info name stayed the same with 'new' this was not removed like below

NetBackup_file_info.new.policy_name.5368

So I renamed the file removing the 'new' and number prefix

I now have the following 2 files present in the bellow path:

c:\program Files\Veritas\netbackup\tir_info\G\$RECYCLE.BIN  (is it normal to be in a recycle.bin folder?)

NetBackup_file_info.new.policy_name.5368

NetBackup_file_info_policy_name

After I renaned the file I have not run a new full I just kicked off a differential that so far appears to be fine.

would this be ok?

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Les, I will hold my hands up and say "I don't know if thats normal" - there is nothing in our KM system relating to RECYCLE.BIN under tir_info. Seems to be backup specific to the G drive.

However, if the incremental is now working, then I would say you are good to go.

you may want to schedule a Synthetic full just to ensure its working as designed.

Good luck and report back if you have further issues.

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Justed tested it on my system and I get similar results, so this is fine!

Les_Denniss
Level 4

That sounds great revaroo, I will wait until the differential completes and then run a Synthetic Full and see if it completes ok!

I will post an update!

Thanks again!