cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct Attached Tape drives to SAN Configuration

rmahaffey
Level 4

Hello,

I have a situation where I have a Dell ML6000 with 2 LTO-5 SAS drives.  The only place on my network that I can connect these SAS drives is directly into my NetApp filers.  If I were to directly attach the tape drives to the NetApp, how would I manage backups using NetBackup?  I have a NetBackup 7.5 master server on site as well.  Is this configuration even possible or do I need to purchase a FC to SAS bridge?  If it is possible, does anyone have documentation oh how to configure this?

Thanks,

Ryan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

hi,

if you are looking these Drives to take the backups of Netapp Filers.. you can connect them to NetApp filer and configure the local backup 

NDMP - Direct Attached:

In the direct-attached or local model, the backup server uses NDMP over the LAN to instruct the filer to start the backup. The filer then sends the data contained in the backup to a tape device attached directly to the filer via Fibre Channel or SCSI. During the backup, information about files and directories written to tape is transferred via NDMP over the LAN to the backup server where it is maintained in an index. For a restore operation, the backup server uses NDMP over the LAN to instruct the filer to start restoring files. Data is read from the filer's locally attached tape device and stored by the filer. During backup and restore, the backup server does not ever receive the actual data being written or read from tape. As a result, this model is commonly referred to as "LAN-free" backup.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH48957

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

RamNagalla

hi,

if you are looking these Drives to take the backups of Netapp Filers.. you can connect them to NetApp filer and configure the local backup 

NDMP - Direct Attached:

In the direct-attached or local model, the backup server uses NDMP over the LAN to instruct the filer to start the backup. The filer then sends the data contained in the backup to a tape device attached directly to the filer via Fibre Channel or SCSI. During the backup, information about files and directories written to tape is transferred via NDMP over the LAN to the backup server where it is maintained in an index. For a restore operation, the backup server uses NDMP over the LAN to instruct the filer to start restoring files. Data is read from the filer's locally attached tape device and stored by the filer. During backup and restore, the backup server does not ever receive the actual data being written or read from tape. As a result, this model is commonly referred to as "LAN-free" backup.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH48957

rmahaffey
Level 4

Thanks for your quick response.  First of all, I assume this will work on NetBackup 7.5 because the article says Backup Exec 11d and above.  Secondly, the creation of backup policies and all backup configuration is still done through the NetBackup admin console right?

Thanks

RamNagalla

yes.. it do work or netbackup 7.5

see the admin guide for netbackup NDMP  which explines this for Netbackup .

this backup method is call Local backup.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC5164

Page Number 18