Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct Backup to cloud catalyst.

AndresV
VIP
Partner    VIP   

hi guys,

I´ve been doing some research and to be honest, I don't get more information about cloud catalyst using direct backup.

I found a pdf which there are two ways of backup to the cloud. one called "direct backup" using just a cloud catalyst and the second one using a media server in the middle and then to cloud catalyst. The whole point is to backup to HCP using S3.

Can anyone help me to identify the differences between these two options?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@AndresV 

Have you tried NetBackup Deduplication Guide ? 

p.238:

■ See “Optimized duplication is used to copy data from an MSDP storage server
to a CloudCatalyst storage server (preferred use case)” on page 238.
This is the preferred use case because it uses the CloudCatalyst storage server
as a target for secondary copies. These copies usually have a longer retention
and are uploaded to the cloud.
■ See “Backups go directly to a CloudCatalyst storage server” on page 240.
While this configuration is supported, it is not the preferred use case. In this use
case, the CloudCatalyst storage server is required to back up, deduplicate, and
upload the data to cloud storage.

Looking at your previous post, it seems that you do have NBU Appliance media servers.
Why would you want to bypass them? 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

This might help re some actual testing of two different configurations of Cloud Catalyst :

https://www.esg-global.com/hubfs/images/LabReports/Lab-Review-Veritas-Cloud-Catalyst-Oct2017/ESG-Lab...

What do you mean by "backup to HCP" ?

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

I'll try - a cloud catalyst (CC) setup is basically a dedicated media server connected to cloud/S3 storage (in your case it will be HCP) and it provides a large MSDP storage bucket on cloud disk (such as S3)
The optimal way to operate a CC server is to have other media servers in the environment utilising MSDP and these opt-dup'ing the data to the CC, which then in turn moves the data segments to the "cloud". This is the second option you are describing (media server in the middle)
The other way it can be used is to send backups directly from clients to the CC server (direct backup). The disadvantage with this is that the CC server may have to perform the deduplication as well, so there is a performance hit. For small environments, this should not be a problem (you may need to provide sufficient CPU/RAM to the system to ensure adequate performance). 
HTH
David

Marianne

@AndresV 

Have you tried NetBackup Deduplication Guide ? 

p.238:

■ See “Optimized duplication is used to copy data from an MSDP storage server
to a CloudCatalyst storage server (preferred use case)” on page 238.
This is the preferred use case because it uses the CloudCatalyst storage server
as a target for secondary copies. These copies usually have a longer retention
and are uploaded to the cloud.
■ See “Backups go directly to a CloudCatalyst storage server” on page 240.
While this configuration is supported, it is not the preferred use case. In this use
case, the CloudCatalyst storage server is required to back up, deduplicate, and
upload the data to cloud storage.

Looking at your previous post, it seems that you do have NBU Appliance media servers.
Why would you want to bypass them? 

AndresV
VIP
Partner    VIP   

Thanks, Marianne,
Yes you are right I do have 9 appliances but these are running full capacity (ram and disk) handling other backup jobs so I don't want to add more process to them.

So I looking for options... I will go deeper to the deduplication guide.

AndresV
VIP
Partner    VIP   

Hi,

I meant to just save data in HCP, my customer has 200 TB in the HCP so I trying to give a use to it.

Marianne

You can change your existing policies to use SLPs to backup to Appliance, duplicate to CC and HCP. 

This way, the retention on the Appliances can be changed to expire sooner, and longer retention on HCP.