cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disabling backups for decommissioned client instead of deleting it from Policy

DPO
Level 6

For Compliance reasons, we don't want to delete a decommissioned client from the policy instead we somehow need to disable its backups permanently . I know there is a offline backups option under Master server host properties but I don't see it to disable forever.

What we basically need is we want to mark a client as decommissioned with a reference ticket (may be as description) and then let the client be visible forever.

At this moment what I see is a create a dummy policy and move all those decommissioned clients to it. But the idea here is in future if we want to see what filesystems it backed up and its policy seetings  we should be able to identify (Doesn't matter even if the backup images expire).

5 REPLIES 5

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

This is not viable.

"But the idea here is in future if we want to see what filesystems it backed up and its policy seetings we should be able to identify (Doesn't matter even if the backup images expire)"

What happens if you need to change the policy for some other reason?

You can set it offline until 03:14:07 on Tuesday, 19 January 2038 using the offline client option, or you can delete it. The file list is still available via bplist command. If you need to document the policy, I suggest you do that by exporting the policy configuratoin on the day you retire the client and keeping it somewhere.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Hi @DPO 

I am with Riaan on this. You will by time end up i a utterly cluttered Netbackup installation. 

Don't try to do something the software isn't intended for.

If I was you, I would do a push back asking what is the value, of being able to say, how a client looked like, when backup are expired and client decommissioned.

X2
   VIP   

Adding to @RiaanBadenhorst and @Nicolai  - NetBackup is for backup and restore i.e. protection, and not record keeping. What you backup for a server should come from the server admin via a request (during provision or a ticket for a change), so that the information is kept for the changes in the ticketing system.

No need to keep information about a server in NetBackup for decommissioned server and expired images.

Tape_Archived
   VIP   

Do you have OpsCenter in your environment?? I think you should leverage the OpsCenter to store the old information and backup details. OpsCenter Analytics can retain information for very long time if you need to.

Note: OpsCenter may be discontinued because of acquisition of Aptare. As Aptare is not free, I think Veritas may continue to support OpsCenter for a while.

jnardello
   VIP    Certified
Push back. As everyone else has stated, this is not workable long-term. Keep in mind the Master has to manage everything configured, regardless of whether that client runs a job or not. Keep in mind YOU still have to manage that Master as well - good luck finding the policy you need to modify/run/disable among the other 12,000 policies hanging around; it'd probably take you several minutes just to scroll through them all, let alone the time to load the policy section up *shudder*. This compliance rule has both management as well as resource overhead associated with it. If they really really want to know what the setup used to look like, use OpsCenter or another backup reporting tool to track that. Or heck, just regularly dump /usr/openv/netbackup/db/class/ to a tarball and send that over to the compliance team - they'll get the exact backup policy configuration that was in-use on that day and can examine it to their hearts' content at their leisure. There is zero reason to keep old clients cluttering up your Master and making you work harder.