cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disaster Recovery Failover Failback

IP_Freely
Level 4
OK guys. I am getting ready to attempt to set up DR for my NetBackup environment. The directive handed down is to be able to continue backing up in the event NetBackup dies at the live site. Not a traditional DR where you need to restore a ton of data. More of a Business Continuity plan. I am Windows 2003/Intel, NBU 5.1MP4. I have 1 master and 6 Media's here at my datacenter. I will have 1 master and 2 media at the hot site. NOTE: The hot site has a current catalog and actually backs up a few clients at that site that ARE NOT backed up here at my live datacener. Yea, not quite a stand by server.
If the live site dies, I have the catalog on tape, but I also run a robocopy job twice daily that copies them to a share at the remote site.
So far the plan is to rename the failover server to the live server name, bprecover interactive the catalog. Load the media in the robot (Same robot at remote as local) inventory and be able to backup from the remote?
Now the first few things that come to mind is how do I cope with the failover server currently running backups? When the name changes they will be toast, yes? These backups are not as critical and it is only a couple boxes I can manually configure.
Failback. I assume I can do the above steps to fail back to the origianl datacenter when it get's repaired.
I know it is going to be more granular than this. Can you guys (and gals?) contribute any other major things I am missing? Any of your experiences?
Thanks in advance!
3 REPLIES 3

zippy
Level 6
IP,

When the name changes they will be toast?

put this on your DR servers vm.conf file
root@servername-/snaps/veritas/openv/volmgr # more vm.conf

DO_NOT_EJECT_STANDALONE
KNOWN = production_master_server_name
REFRESH_RATE = 60
SCRATCH_POOL = Spare_tapes
FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER = failover_server_name production_master_server_name
DEVICE_HOST = production_master_server_name

This will allow you DR server to restore any tape that was made on the master server!

I also make a tar ball of the master_servers DB files and rcp it to my DR site, just incase. Opps you using NT, zip up the directoy and ftp it.

J

IP_Freely
Level 4
"Tar Ball" sounds a lot cooler than Zip. :)

zippy
Level 6
its available fro windows if you wanted to experiance the tar ball effect or the UNIX dark side...... :)

http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/tar.htm

winrar will allow you to see it http://rarsoft.com