cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discovering windows media servers

sclind
   VIP   

I have two Windows 2003 servers here at my location (ServerA and ServerB) that share a tape library.  ServerA is the master server and ServerB is the media server. 

I am building two complete replacements for these two servers (that will be Windows 2008 R2).  Lets call them ServerC and ServerD. 

When I build the two new servers and run the "Configure Storage Devices" wizard everything falls into place as far as defining the master server (ServerC), the media server (ServerD), the shared tape drives, the robot etc.

But here is what I am unclear on.  We have some remote sites that already have a media server (some doing disk backup and some doing backup to a local tape drive).  These servers are not being rebuilt.  How do I have the new master server (ServerC) "discover" the existing (remote) media servers?  I dont think the wizard does this.

I know I'll have to logon to these remote media servers and change them from ServerA to ServerC.  But I am not exactly sure where I make that change. And once that change is made what will cause these old media servers to now appear as a media server on ServerC?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Use the nbdecommission as listed be Marianne. That will remove the remote site media servers from A's configuration, and also clean them up from a EMM point of view. Then you can open the GUI on A, go to host properties > Media Server and select your remote site media server. In the server list enter Server C and click on make master. This will place them under Server C's control.

Then run nbemmcmd -addhost on Server C to add the remote media servers to EMM.

Then run the device configuration wizard.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello,

The steps your looking for were actually outlined in this thread

Hope thats what your looking for.

sclind
   VIP   

SymTerry -

Thanks for the link.  It sounds like I need to run the nbdecommission program on ServerA for each of my remote media servers *before* I shutdown ServerA.

Then when I have ServerC up I'll run this command for each of the old, existing media servers:

nbemmcmd -addhost -machinename <old_media_hostname> -machinetype media -masterserver <master_hostname> -netbackupversion xxx -operatingsystem xxx

Does this sound right?

Scott

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi Scott,

Are you scrapping your old environment (server A and B)? you don't mention anything about keeping the old catalog.

What stage or you at? Are the old servers still online?

Marianne
Level 6

You actually run nbdecommission on the master server.

This is what the utility does : 
Decommission actions on Windows 
http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO67812

About this statement:

How do I have the new master server (ServerC) "discover" the existing (remote) media servers?

You can change media servers, NOT the master server.

If you want to migrate the master to new hardware, you must use the SAME hostname.
You will build the new server using the same hostname, install and patch same NBU version using same installation path, then recover NBU catalog from old server.

See these TNs: 

Using catalog backup and recovery to transfer NetBackup catalogs between Windows master servers as part of a hardware refresh
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77447

How to migrate the NetBackup catalog information from one platform to another (UNIX to Windows or vice versa), rename a Master Server, cluster an existing Master Server, or merge multiple NetBackup domains.
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH31385

sclind
   VIP   

We are scrapping the old environment so I dont have to worry abour bringing over the catalog.

A and B are still online; before I build C and D I have to shut them down.

sclind
   VIP   

Marianne  - I am building a competely new backup master with a new hostname.  I am not bringing the catalog over.

But once I have the new environment active I need to 'reattach' the remote media servers to the new master server.

Marianne
Level 6

I am not bringing the catalog over.

What about backups taken by all media servers under ServerA?
Will you never need to restore those?

RiaanBadenhorst

Use the nbdecommission as listed be Marianne. That will remove the remote site media servers from A's configuration, and also clean them up from a EMM point of view. Then you can open the GUI on A, go to host properties > Media Server and select your remote site media server. In the server list enter Server C and click on make master. This will place them under Server C's control.

Then run nbemmcmd -addhost on Server C to add the remote media servers to EMM.

Then run the device configuration wizard.