cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disk Pools showing vastly skewed storage after Data Domain upgrade

Matt_Billing
Level 4

We have 2 Data domain DD690's in 2 sites connected by a 100mbps dedicated link. We use SLP's to drive data between them. The DDR in our DR site has longer retentions on it's images than the primary site, so has more data on it.

We have seen a problem after a DDOS upgrade  where Netbackup is reporting vastly skewed space on the DDR’s through the disk pools view. Previous to upgrade we were seeing 20Tb Raw, 16Tb used and 3Tb free. (77% used) After the upgrade I see. 316Raw, 312used 3.7free (98%full)   We got some errors telling us the DR box  had breached the high water mark, which according to NBU, it has however this is not the case and I believe the OST plugin is reporting incorrectly, or Netbackup is interpreting the data incorrectly.   The DDR itself confirms that nothing drastic has changed and it is still 20/16/3 (77%)

As a workaround I have increased the High Watermark to 100% in the hope that no matter how badly the numbers are skewed. It will never report 100% as I think the reported numbers are relative to the deduped data on the DDR (Hope that makes sense, I think it does!)

what I need to know is:

• anyone seen this before?
  • Where does NBU get its info from? is it the OST plugin

Thoughts anyone?

Many Thanks

Matt

12 REPLIES 12

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The 1st thought that comes to mind is compatibility...

Have you checked the Device Compatibility Guide for supported versions of DDOS?

NBU 6.5 Device Compatibility Guide: ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/325328.pdf

NBU 7 Device Compatibility Guide: ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/336875.pdf

The OST is supplied by the appliance vendor (DD). You might have to check with them if there's a new version for the new DDOS version.

Matt_Billing
Level 4
this is a bug! We are waiting on Symantec Engineering to provide a fix. Very glad it wasn't just us!

teiva-boy
Level 6
Off hand are you using the new DD Boost OST plug-in, or the older OST plug-in?

If the DD Boost plug-in, how do you like it?  Does it improve performance as EMC/DD claims?

Marianne
Level 6

Please double-check your link - it is this very same thread!

RiaanBadenhorst

This is the link Rugby01 was referring to

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH135174&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1291079293889

The fix is not out yet, or maybe only available on request.

Mauro_Barberis
Level 2
Employee

The TN Riaan gave is the correct one. And he's right, available only on request.

Though the binary fix is not referenced using that number (not directly, it's a sibling)

(ET2085566) BUG REPORT: After an update of the OpenStorage (OST) plug-in to version 2.2.1.1, NetBackup may report status code 129 and "EMM status: Insufficient disk space or High Water Mark would be exceeded Disk storage unit is full(129)" more frequently due to a change in the method of calculation of free space on the storage unit.

Open a case at Symantec's CC:

Online: (On the right, MySupport tab => "Create a support case" )

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=landing&key=15143

Or call the CC:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/assistance_care.jsp

And ask for ET2085566 .. provide your NBU version, and which OS versions & architectures are running on your Master & Media Servers (the ones attached to the DD box)

You'll need to install the fix on your Master, and all the Media's connected. (service restart required)

Regards,

Mauro

dltsc
Level 4
Partner

Has this problem been seen at an OST version higher than 2.2.1.1?  We are seeing skewed numbers at version 2.2.2.0, we are not getting the error 129 because HWM is already at 99%

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi Telva-boy

Just to let you know, we (symantec) don't support the use of boost on a netbackup media server....yet....

****EDIT**** Unfortunately I cannot provide proof so talk to a Symantec SE about it.

Cesar_Contreras
Level 2
Certified
I already applied the fix mentioned below and the problem is not solved, i have ost 2.2.3.0, and OS DD880 ver 4.9.2.0.

Downloadable Fix: NB_7.0.1_ET2085566_1.zip is a NetBackup 7.0.1 Hotfix for NetBackup Servers using OST
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH147404

Regards

César

Nathan_Kippen
Level 6
Certified

Running OST 2.2.2.0, DD OS 4.9.2.6

I don't have problems..

teiva-boy
Level 6

Bringing back from the dead even though this is a late reply.  I'll agree to disagree with you.

While Symantec supports OST and EMC/DD's OST plug-in, they don't support the value add of "BOOST," within the plug-in.  Why? Well it competes with their own products.  I understand this marketing decision.

That said, your blanket statement of Symantec doesnt support boost is incorrect and misleading.  And talk to a Symantec SE, and you'll find the same answer. (You don't know my background and how intimately I know Symc products, SE's, and PM's in your org. ;) ...)