cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disk Staging (Basic Disk)

ADDODD
Level 4
hey all,

I'm using Disk Staging on a Basic Disk storage unit.

My understanding was that high / low water marks did not apply to Basic disk.

I found a few threads that talk about Basic Disk storage units filling to 100% at which point any active backup jobs get paused and backups on disk that have been staged to tape get purged.  once there is free space, the backup jobs continue.

I've noticed that this doesn't seem to happen on my basic disk storage units.  based on some disk usage trending graphs i've looked at, they appear to reach 90% (the configured highwater mark) and then reduce to the low water mark.

I was also wondering if there is any "evidence" in the Activity Monitor or logs that I can monitor to see when images on disk get purged (after successful spooling to tape).

thanks!

ADDODD

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mike_Gavrilov
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
You are not right.  High / low water marks works for Baic Disk since 6.5. Check documentation:
Basic disk staging storage units may already be configured on a media server of a previous release. Upon upgrade, the disk storage units are set with the Low water mark at 100%. To make the best use of upgraded storage units, adjust the level.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

ADDODD
Level 4
Sorry,

for reference,

Netbackup 6.5.4.

master and media servers are all Solaris 10.

cheers,

ADDODD

dltsc
Level 4
Partner
Take a look at the bpdbm log under /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bpdbm.  Image expiration messages should be listed in there.

Marianne
I would check bpdm and bptm on the media server...

ADDODD
Level 4
hey,

thanks for the suggestions!

any idea what i could grep for in the logs to zero in on what I'm looking for?

i tried expire, image, etc, no luck... just looking for some clues to get started.

thanks!

ADDODD

Mike_Gavrilov
You are not right.  High / low water marks works for Baic Disk since 6.5. Check documentation:
Basic disk staging storage units may already be configured on a media server of a previous release. Upon upgrade, the disk storage units are set with the Low water mark at 100%. To make the best use of upgraded storage units, adjust the level.

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
- Snapshot Client Quick Start Guide (  http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/290225.htm )
- Snapshot Client Administrator's Guide (  http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/290224.htm )