cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disk Staging Schedule Netbackup 6.5.6

ThomasS_
Level 2

Hi,

In the last weeks we are facing problems with one of our Media Servers (Windows 2003) - sometimes the disk gets full. This happens since the disk size was reduced.

Now we investigated these problems and we found that duplication jobs are not done after the backup jobs. In the past we thougt that after every backup job a duplication job starts, because we have configured the staging schedule with the following settings:

- type calendar
- Start Window each day from 0:00:00 to 00:00:00
- Calendar schedule: Reccuring week days, select all

But it seems that duplication jobs only start each day at 00:01:00 and after that, no more duplication jobs are starting this day. So backups that complete after 00:01:00 are duplicated not before the next night 00:01:00.

Is this correct and working as intended? Perhaps we have not seen this problem because we had a significant higher disk size in the past (12TB to 3TB), so there was enough room for backups until next duplication job.

As a workaround, we set the schedule to "frequency, 1 hour"  and it seems to run fine. Manual relocation is working also, but we dont want to do manual tasks.

Is there a way to configure staging to duplicate the images directly after the backup job?

Also, i know about HWM and LWM, but this settings are not relevant for duplication but for cleaning the already duplicated images.
Is my knowledge on this correct?

Thank you all for reading this. I hope I can get a simple answer to my questions above.

Greetings from germany

Thomas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

With basic disk you only have the staging option so your 1 hour frequency is the best you will get.

To have almost immediate duplication you need to use Storage Lifecycle Policies but for that you need to use Advanced / Enterprise Disk as basic disk cannot be used in a SLP

Hope this helps - a total backup window and a frequency of 1 hour is as good as it gets with disk staging

#edit

and Yes - HWM and LWM will only work on images that have already been duplicated

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

With basic disk you only have the staging option so your 1 hour frequency is the best you will get.

To have almost immediate duplication you need to use Storage Lifecycle Policies but for that you need to use Advanced / Enterprise Disk as basic disk cannot be used in a SLP

Hope this helps - a total backup window and a frequency of 1 hour is as good as it gets with disk staging

#edit

and Yes - HWM and LWM will only work on images that have already been duplicated

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Your  calendar schedule will only start a duplication once a day.

Rather change to Frequency schedule with every 2-3 hours frequency.
So, Frequency-based schedule should be seen as a solution and not a workaround.

Also, i know about HWM and LWM, but this settings are not relevant for duplication but for cleaning the already duplicated images.

Correct.  See this TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH66149

PS:

PLEASE upgrade your environment ASAP. NBU 6.x ran out of support about a year ago.

ThomasS_
Level 2

Marianne and Mark, thank you for your quick reply. Your posts in different threads have helped us so much in the past.  yes

I'm happy that we finaly found out what the problem is. It now runs very good, but with the already planned upgrade to 7.5 we will investigate SLP. I think that basic disks are not the best for so a big setup like ours.

So again, thank you for your quick reply. I hope marianne is not sad that I mark the post of Mark as the solution because he was first :)

Greetings,

Thomas

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

No hard feelings! Mark was first! smiley