cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disk Type (which is better or best practice) -Basic, Advanced, Pure disk

dpx_99
Level 4

Hi Experts,

I'm currently trying to improve backup environment in terms not to mix Basic , Advance or Pure disks for backup.

I've opportunity to delete all basic , advance disks and create one MSDP pool.

Is this right approach ? or how i can use if i have mixed disks type.

Please assist.

many thanks

dpx

10 REPLIES 10

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hey

Everything depends on your needs... If your data is well deduping and your client do have enough CPU power to run client side dedup if not use media server dedupe side, I would have opted for MSDP for everything... If you have some clients/data not well deduping you may want to back it up to ADV disk STU  and then using SLP, ie. backup capacity managed and duplication to tapes.... If there is such need. For sure I would get rid of the basic disk STUs as these can not be used with SLPs... Of course use SLP also for any backup directed to MSPD, ADV - so your backups will have some lifecycle... Less SLPs the better for your env... That's my two cents...

Many Thanks @quebek,

I have total 6 media servers (3 for primary site  & 3 for DR site) and except one server, each server has 3-4 basic disks, 1-2 advanced disks. I'm thinking to delete all basic, advanced disks [ofc after duplicate current image to other servers] and create one big MSDP pool on each server.

But i'm not sure how well i can use if i go with advanced disks or create one msdp pool on each server. (total 6 MSDP pool).

Thanks,

dpx

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Well

Test on one of them MSDP (along with its counter partener at DR site). The is no 'one size fits all' on NBU end :), so this is the reason you are at this company, right? ;)

I understand the point. many thanks again.

My point was - would it make sense to keep advanced disks ? unless backup is faster on advanced disks.

i'm thinking about some combination but searching that logic where keeping advance disks make sense.

Thanks,

dpx

quebek
   VIP    Certified

You need to look at your env... ADV can be really fast... but to get to these disks you have to travell via network ... if this is ethernet ie 1Gbps this is your bottleneck, if 10 Gbps or FC other story...

I am finding my backups which do leverage client side dedupe and accelerator (destination MSDP) to be much quicker then the regular ones directed to tape and/or ADV... in my env 1Gbps was the bottleneck... Now with these functions in place I am even outperforming 10Gbps ;) in some cases... hehe still having only 1Gbps available and MSDP.

Tape_Archived
   VIP   

The previous replies should help you to understand what want to go for. I am adding what you may use the type of Disk considering what you are going to backup to it

=> Compressed Files or Compressed DB Backup - Advanced Disk

=> Normal Unix or Windows Backup - MSDP (you can get better dedupe)

=> Many admin's prefer Basic Disk for Catalog

many thanks @Tape_Archived

Sorry for this question: can use compress option enable with ORACLE RMAN backup? so far i didn't enable it.

Thanks,

dpx

Tape_Archived
   VIP   

The best approach would be to check with DBA about RMAN compressed backup, that's more efficient that netbackup compression(though I don't have exprience of using Netbackup compression).

Many thanks @Tape_a

Compressed Files or Compressed DB Backup - Advanced Disk

With uncompressed files or uncompressed DB backup ? Still advanced disk be used ?

We did backup by script RMAN without intelligent policy, when DBA use compression in database the performance for backup is so poor and slow, when disabled performance in netbackup is so fast ,,,btw once I read compression is good only one side .. we tested in Oracle Enterprise 11,12 until new versions..I hope this help.