cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disk based backup on OST storage, catalog is not showing from master server

Pavz
Level 4

Hi,

I have integrated a OST storage with netbackup via pluging. Created parent and child policy using Ininiband path. From the master server i had been run the policy for database backup. I have two media server and perorming as client also. Backup is successfully done. but main issue is that no catalog is show for this backup on master server.

BR//

Pavs

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I don't know how else to explain.
When you define channel as 'disk' you are bypassing NBU by writing directly to the storage.

NBU can only catalog the backup when you write to NBU using sbt_tape in the script instead of disk.
The STU selected in the Oracle will then write the backup to OST storage unit.

Please locate documentation for your NBU version over here: https://vox.veritas.com/t5/Backup-Recovery-Community-Blog/Handy-NetBackup-links/ba-p/790200
then download the NBU for Oracle manual to see how to link Oracle to NBU and how to config Intelligent Policy or script-based backup.
If you still want to use your own script instead of OIP, please locate the sample scripts that are installed with NBU client software and compare with yours.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Pavz
Level 4

RMAN Script:

ALLOCATE CHANNEL ch00 TYPE disk PARMS='ENV=(NB_ORA_CLIENT=mediaserver1-ib,NB_ORA_SERV=masterserver,NB_ORA_POLICY=OracleAppPolicy)' CONNECT='sys/welcome1@dbtest1' format '/ost_LSU1/bk_%s_%p_%t';
ALLOCATE CHANNEL ch01 TYPE disk PARMS='ENV=(NB_ORA_CLIENT=mediaserver2-ib,NB_ORA_SERV=masterserver,NB_ORA_POLICY=OracleAppPolicy)' CONNECT='sys/welcome1@dbtest2' format '/ost_LSU2/bk_%s_%p_%t';
ALLOCATE CHANNEL ch02 TYPE disk PARMS='ENV=(NB_ORA_CLIENT=mediaserver1-ib,NB_ORA_SERV=masterserver,NB_ORA_POLICY=OracleAppPolicy)' CONNECT='sys/welcome1@dbtest1' format '/ost_LSU1/bk_%s_%p_%t';
ALLOCATE CHANNEL ch03 TYPE disk PARMS='ENV=(NB_ORA_CLIENT=mediaserver2-ib,NB_ORA_SERV=masterserver,NB_ORA_POLICY=OracleAppPolicy)' CONNECT='sys/welcome1@dbtest2' format '/ost_LSU2/bk_%s_%p_%t';

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Consider to use Netbackup Intelligent Policies for Oracle.

The first screen shot is only the control job starting the script performing the backup. It is expected to see data stream from the Oracle server. Can you show us a screen dump of those jobs ?

You are backing up to NFS share on OST appliance - ALLOCATE CHANNEL ch0# TYPE disk

You are merely using NBU policy to start the script.

Please follow steps in NBU for Oracle Admin Guide to use the NBU libobk plugin to backup via NBU to OST STU. You will need to run oracle_link script to link NBU libobk to Oracle library.

You can use traditional Rman script with sbt_tape (although using OST STU) or else Intelligent Policy as per Nicolai's suggestion.

Please download the manual and follow steps to configure properly.

I hv created a parent and child policy for db backup after zfs storage plugin installation and register. Backup triggered from master server with the attached rman script. mountpoint are nfs. r this script is ok? can you describe the netbackup intelligence policy for oracle? 

I have attached some doc, which i follow for the OST registration and policy creation.

I don't know how else to explain.
When you define channel as 'disk' you are bypassing NBU by writing directly to the storage.

NBU can only catalog the backup when you write to NBU using sbt_tape in the script instead of disk.
The STU selected in the Oracle will then write the backup to OST storage unit.

Please locate documentation for your NBU version over here: https://vox.veritas.com/t5/Backup-Recovery-Community-Blog/Handy-NetBackup-links/ba-p/790200
then download the NBU for Oracle manual to see how to link Oracle to NBU and how to config Intelligent Policy or script-based backup.
If you still want to use your own script instead of OIP, please locate the sample scripts that are installed with NBU client software and compare with yours.

thanks i got your point.. i will do and update