cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disk storage units supported with Exchange Granular Recovery Technology (GRT)

Les_Denniss
Level 4

Hello

I have a quick couple of questions about GRT for Exchange that I hope someone could help clarify for me please.

I have taken the below paragraph extract from the ‘Exchange Server Admin Guide’ and I think I have understood it correctly but I would like to ask someone in the know just to be sure!

Disk storage units supported with Exchange Granular Recovery Technology (GRT)

Granular backups must be made to a supported disk device. During the backup

operation, the mailbox name or top public folder is catalogued. When you duplicate

(

-bc_only

) a backup, NetBackup catalogues the entire contents of the backup image

and the duplication can be targeted to any media. When you perform a restore, the

primary backup image must exist on a supported disk media. You may need to

perform another duplicate operation to copy the backup to disk.

So

Method we wish to use.

1. We intend to do an Exchange GRT backup to our Media Server Deduplication Pool (PureDisk)with a retention of 2 weeks.
  2. Then the GRT Exchange backup is duplicated to tape for retention of 5 weeks (For weekly backups) – (monthly for retention of 1 year) this is copy 2.
  3. To restore from a couple of months ago – we would need to import the whole GRT Exchange backup image from tape back to the storage for restore.

Our questions!

Is the method we wish to use correct?

When the primary image (image on disk) expires and the duplicated image becomes primary copy 2 can we still restore emails and folders? Does copy 2 become the primary like usual duplications.

The extract above is a bit confusing does it require the backup to be on disk? Do we need to import from tape before we perform a restore? Will we be able to recover historical GRT Exchange backups from 3 months ago using this method?

Thanks in advance for you advice

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

DOCUMENTATION: Disk Storage Types supported for Granular Recovery Technology (GRT)
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH187917 

Correction to point 3 in your method: 

To restore from a couple of months ago – we would need to duplicate the whole GRT Exchange backup image from tape back to the storage for restore.

For item-level restore, the image needs to be on disk.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

DOCUMENTATION: Disk Storage Types supported for Granular Recovery Technology (GRT)
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH187917 

Correction to point 3 in your method: 

To restore from a couple of months ago – we would need to duplicate the whole GRT Exchange backup image from tape back to the storage for restore.

For item-level restore, the image needs to be on disk.

Les_Denniss
Level 4

Hi Marianne 

Ah as the original image has expired on disk. We would need to duplicate the image to disk and set as primary image, then we can recover individual emails. 

Thanks for you assistance and prompt response!