cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diskless vm option enabled in policy vmware tab advance option

lovy
Level 4

Hi All,

My backups are failing with below error and I found link on google : http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/cannot-snapshot-sles-11-sp2-netbackup-7601

I enable diskless vm option in policy vmware tab in advance option and backup working properly. I want to know is this solution is right.

ERROR:

02/23/2015 20:23:43 - Info bpbrm (pid=14429) INF - vmwareLogger: CreateSnapshotExAPI: SYM_VMC_ERROR:  SOAP_ERROR
02/23/2015 20:23:54 - Info bpbrm (pid=14429) INF - vmwareLogger: CreateSnapshotExAPI: SYM_VMC_ERROR:  SOAP_ERROR
02/23/2015 20:24:04 - Info bpbrm (pid=14429) INF - vmwareLogger: CreateSnapshotExAPI: SYM_VMC_ERROR:  SOAP_ERROR

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Maybe you should tell us more about your environment?
Do you have specific names specified in VMware policy or using Intelligent policy?

Do you have duplicated names because of SRM as per the post that you found 

Question if this is right solution for you can only be answered if all relevant info about your environment is known.

Extract from NetBackup for VMware Administrator's Guide

Ignore diskless VMs

If this option is enabled:
NetBackup does not back up a replicated (passive) VM in a vCenter Site Recovery Manager
(SRM) environment if that VM has no vmdk files. NetBackup skips that VM and backs up the
corresponding active VM, which has vmdk files.
Note that virtual machines without vmdk files can occur in a vCenter SRM environment. If a
replicated virtual machine has never been active, it is in passive mode and may have no vmdk
file(s).
Note: If this option is enabled and NetBackup does not have access to the vCenter where the
active virtual machine runs: the Query Builder policies run without error and no attempt is made
to back up the virtual machine. For the policies that use manual selection of virtual machines,
backups fail with status 156, because the virtual machine cannot be located.
If this option is disabled:
NetBackup attempts to back up a virtual machine regardless of whether it has vmdk files. If the
virtual machine has no vmdk files, the backup fails with status 156.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Maybe you should tell us more about your environment?
Do you have specific names specified in VMware policy or using Intelligent policy?

Do you have duplicated names because of SRM as per the post that you found 

Question if this is right solution for you can only be answered if all relevant info about your environment is known.

Extract from NetBackup for VMware Administrator's Guide

Ignore diskless VMs

If this option is enabled:
NetBackup does not back up a replicated (passive) VM in a vCenter Site Recovery Manager
(SRM) environment if that VM has no vmdk files. NetBackup skips that VM and backs up the
corresponding active VM, which has vmdk files.
Note that virtual machines without vmdk files can occur in a vCenter SRM environment. If a
replicated virtual machine has never been active, it is in passive mode and may have no vmdk
file(s).
Note: If this option is enabled and NetBackup does not have access to the vCenter where the
active virtual machine runs: the Query Builder policies run without error and no attempt is made
to back up the virtual machine. For the policies that use manual selection of virtual machines,
backups fail with status 156, because the virtual machine cannot be located.
If this option is disabled:
NetBackup attempts to back up a virtual machine regardless of whether it has vmdk files. If the
virtual machine has no vmdk files, the backup fails with status 156.

lovy
Level 4

Hi All ,

sorry 4 d delay. This issue has been resolved. I logged a call with Symantec and they suggest to enable diskless vm option.

lovy
Level 4

I have duplicated names because of SRM.and everytime while backup it approaches to client which is diskless.