cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need a NBU Application and Database Pack for the master?

GlenG
Level 4

Our NetBackup licensing has been audited and Veritas is insisting we need a NBU Application and Database Pack license for out NBU master server.

I am not having any luck finding the description/features of a Master server license.  Anyboby have a link to the license details?

Thanks,

Glen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Seth_Hollist
Level 3

If you have any database clients, you'll need an appropriate license that matches the type of database. The license will then be applied on the master server (not the client).

Your best place to get licensing descriptions is from your sales rep.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Seth_Hollist
Level 3

If you have any database clients, you'll need an appropriate license that matches the type of database. The license will then be applied on the master server (not the client).

Your best place to get licensing descriptions is from your sales rep.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Are you using any db agent in the environment with policy types such as Oracle, MS-SQL, MS-Exchange, DB2, etc? Without Application and Database Pack license on the master server, these policy types would not be available. This license is not required to backup the Sybase db on the master - it is backed up with CatalogBackup policy that is automatically included without need for additional license.

Will_Restore
Level 6

Why are you still on version  '7.1 and Earlier' ?

GlenG
Level 4

I am running 7.0.1.  I expect to shutdown the server in the next 9 months or so.  That will end our use of NetBackup.

GlenG

GlenG
Level 4

Marianne,

Thanks, maybe I need to send them a report showing all the policies and their "types".

Thanks again for the clue,

GlenG

GlenG
Level 4

Seth,

I agree with the "sales rep" plan but with all the recent changes - and changes at the vendor we use - I am having touble finding anyone that knows much about it.

Thanks,

GlenG

RiaanBadenhorst

Version is irrelevant, you've never ever needed to add a db/app pack for the master. That's just nuts, its like selling you the server license and then saying you can't protect the most critical component, the catalog, if you don't buy the additional license. If a Veritas employee told you this he should not have the right to work there.

Marianne
Please forward the link to this discussion to the Veritas employee who told you that you need Db license on the master...

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

myabe there is this basic misunderstanding:

One thing is what a license key is intended for, and another thing is where appropriate license key must be physically stored.

License key can be , for example, intended for Oracle/MSSQL/DB2 etc. backup on a client (which is , of course, generally different from Master Server).

But appropriate license key must be physically stored on the Master , not on the Client.

Regards

Michal

Marianne
This is what I was trying to say on 11 Dec. https://www.veritas.com/community/forums/do-i-need-nbu-application-and-database-pack-master#comment-11508801