cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need a NetBackup Enterprise Client License in addition to the Enterprise Server License?

karentv1
Level 0

Hello,

I have a two-tiered NetBackup architecture system with a backup server and multiple Hyper-V server clients.

I am aware that I will need an Enterprise Server License for my backup server, since it is acting as both the master and media server. And I will need an Enterprise Client License for each of the Hyper-v systems. 

If I want to also have the capability to backup the backup server, will I need to purchase an Enterprise Client License in addition to the Enterprise Server License just for the backup server?

Thank you for any help.

1 REPLY 1

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

Hi @karentv1 

The Enterprise Server license also covers backing up that server (it includes a client license). 

If you want to use the Hyper-V policy type then you will need the Enterprise Client License for each Hyper-V server, as you indicated. However....

If you simply want to use the NetBackup agent on each Hyper-V guest (and Hyper-V server), then all that is required is the standard client license for each server (the license on the Hyper-V server in this case covers all guests running on that server when using an agent). 

There was a recent post from pointing to a License guide - this is always useful to review for information, then if something doesn't make sense, asking your account team is a good option too. Here is the link posted Re: License information for netbackup DesRe: License information for netbackup Des

Cheers
David